Saturday, May 28, 2022

it's an honor

 Today I'm attending a wedding. The groom is my wife's sisters' grandson. Joan Marie would be so happy and excited, along with her husband Fred. Sadly, they are both passed on as the saying goes. It was very kind of Trevor, that's the groom, to include us. I can't but feel like we are going to be the representatives for a generation. We are the "sentimental" invitees that attend all these family events. The old guard, as it were. The old people that are invited as a matter of protocol and good manners. 
 It's an honor to be included. I am pleased to attend and see the generations moving ever forward. We are all aware of the cost of such an event. We are all aware of the practical decisions that have to be made. The new bride has spent countless hours thinking about this occasion, this event that will mark a huge milestone in her life! This is forever. That's the mindset, as well it should be. Yes, it is an honor to be included.
 So today I will get all cleaned up, put on my best bib and tucker, and be a presence. Introduced to those future generations as Uncle Ben, as I am called by that family. The relationship will be explained to those that don't know. All older men in the family are called Uncle, unless they are the grandfather. I used to think that you became an uncle simply when your sibling had a child. Now I realize that there are different uncles. I'm an honorary uncle! It's respect. 
 I'm grateful for the invite and proud to attend. It's a reward of sorts. I can revel and enjoy their happiness, their excitement and just a small portion of their dreams. I'm a part of the future. Years will pass and memories collected. Always included in those memories will be Uncle Ben. He's the old guy in the back. He was married to your great grandmother's sister. Yes, it's quite an honor.     
       

No comments:

Post a Comment