Thursday, February 18, 2021

Time and tradition

  Time, tradition and customs change all the time. Most of the time I think we are unaware of that, excited for something new. I also believe that is becoming more frequent, more common, as our society supports the rejection of the "old" ways. Progress has become to mean, new. New and improved is the slogan these days. In fact, holding onto the past is considered a bad thing, that is unless that past can be of some benefit to you today that is. You know, like an injustice committed to a distant ancestors that gives me some special favor today. But, as a general rule, it's out with the old and in with the new. 
 Now my apartment is across the street from the funeral home. As a result I do notice the daily activates going on there. I see the mourners arriving, I see them standing around outside waiting, and now in this time of social distancing, there are fewer mourners. I have noticed over the years I have lived here, the manner of dress has changed. I see everything from the formal to those that look like they just stopped by on the way to the beach. I see styles from the demure to the opposite end of that spectrum. I've seen funerals for the "biker" set their motorcycles roaring as they send off their dearly departed brethren. I've seen the firefighter, the Flag draped coffin in the back of the antique fire truck, black banners and bag pipes. Lots of things different than what one would expect. 
 Behind my apartment is the building where the stones are prepared. There are anywhere from ten or twelve headstones and monuments out there at any one time. They all seem to be granite these days, I haven't seen any made out of that white marble so prevalent in the past. I expect that is do to technology. The ability to carve granite versus the softness of that old marble. I've seen many shapes and styles. Some are highly polished, others just smooth, the lettering can be carved deeply in a contrasting color as well. But as of late I have noticed a new addition to those headstones and it is a difference that has drawn my attention. A picture of the deceased in now engraved into the stone. I'm thinking it is done with a laser although I haven't asked. Now, that's something different that I can't decide upon. I ask myself, would I want my picture on that stone? If I had to choose what picture would I pick? And, if I didn't pick, who would? That picture is supposed to last forever! I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that. Well that's assuming I will be comfortable being dead. I don't think I have a choice though. But whatever, it was just a little something I noticed that was new. The other new thing I noticed just prior to that was the placing of red lights on the graves. They are solar powered devices, usually red with a gold colored housing. They remind me of Dracula's castle lights. When I drive by the cemetery at night and see all those lights it gives me the creeps. For Gods' sake, turn out the lights, the party is over. But, I suppose some find comfort in that for reasons I just don't know. I understand we all grieve in our own fashion, there is no right or wrong way. 
 I have seen other options being offered as well. You can have yourself buried in an open field where the only marker is a GPS coordinate. You can be planted as a tree. You can be launched into space. There are options. You can be frozen. They can freeze your whole body or just your head. The head is the cheaper option, they'll find you a body later on if needed. Hey, it's a real thing. Time, tradition and custom. I'm going for cremation. Those remaining can decide upon disposal. I do like the idea of a marker though. A man should have a marker, a reminder to humanity that he was here. The wife and I are considering a mini-mausoleum. They take a granite stone and carve out chambers in them, anywhere from two to six, possibly more where the urn in placed. Then a face plate is put over the openings. You just set the stone on a plot of land, a small square will do and there you go. Sounds good to me. But I don't want any lights and no pictures. Maybe I'll have the URL to this blog engraved on the stone. Want to visit Ben, go to WWW. whatever. LOL. Start a new tradition. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the grave lights! But the gravestone photos have been around for many years, several are in the Catholic cemetary in EH, and probably in other local graveyards.

    ReplyDelete