Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Reflection of time

  I often post little random thoughts to Facebook. You know, those things that for some unknown reason just pop into your mind. I take it as a good sign that the old grey matter is still percolating. Things bubble to the top. Yesterday evening, as an example, I remembered a line from the Waltons' television show. Miss Emily Baldwin says something to this effect, " When men were men and women were glad of it." It made me laugh out loud when I pictured the whole scene in my mind. I have no idea what made that thought come to the surface, probably something on the television news or something. But after posting that, I did chuckle a bit and a little more later on as well. Then this thought came to mind: "When you can amuse yourself, with just your memories, you have led a good life." My life is far from over, at least I'm hoping that is the case, but I do amuse myself with thoughts of old friends, and old stories I've heard and listened too. Yes when I look at the reflection of time, I smile. I think I must be pretty lucky in that regard judging by what some others post. 
 We all have those inside jokes, those incidents we share with family and friends. Those are often the memories that rise to the surface. The problem with those are taking them "outside." By the time I can explain the context, the interest in the story is often lost. You know what I mean? Sometimes those stories aren't at all funny taken out of context, something quite evident, especially these days. But I still enjoy them even when I'm the only one. With those stories, sometimes all you have to do is say the punch line and those in the know smile and explode with laughter. It is also the hardest thing to explain to others. There's a whole thing involving an empty Dunkin' Donuts box and family vacations that I remember and laugh about. I only have to mention that to my son and the grandkids to get a laugh. Like I said, it's a whole thing. Even if I explained it, you had to be there is the bottom line. And I guess that is what I'm doing, being there, when those thoughts come.
 Yes I'd say the best we can hope for in this world are good memories. I can amuse myself for hours just remembering. I don't need to be amused by others, by outside forces, I can just amuse myself. I'm thinking it is a skill my generation was taught to cultivate. Perhaps some of that came from necessity. I had toys, I'm not saying I was so poor we didn't have stuff to amuse ourselves with, but imagination played a big role in our childhood. At least contact, personal contact with one another, was the most important part of that. Can I go out and play was the most asked question, by far. We didn't want to stay indoors or around the house. Indoors meant cleaning your room, or if you were lucky something on television. I did enjoy reading books so I would do that, Mom kinda left you alone if you were doing that. Staying around the house meant chores to do. Dad always had some project, some task for you to do, to keep you out of trouble. So we went out to play, to be with others, socialize, and make your own way in an unsupervised  world. We didn't have "play dates" or many organized sports. No, we were pretty much on our own, our world expanding as we grew older and more trustworthy. By age 12 I could ride my bicycle as far and wide as about eight hours would allow. No cell phones to check in with. Ah, lots of good memories. It seems the kids today are too regulated, too controlled. When they do have personal contact in their younger years it is almost always supervised. Perhaps that's why when they get older they do such dumb stuff today. I'm thinking eating Tide Pods or whatever that was running alongside your car while taking a selfie! Heck nowadays in Kindergarten they are telling the kids gender is a choice! 
 I don't know. I guess I've wandered off topic again. Well that's not unusual for me. I was just thinking that I am lucky to have all these fun memories to draw upon whenever I like. Yes there are plenty of moments of sadness or anger that reside there also but in the background. I find myself smiling at thoughts all the time. Maybe that is how insanity starts? I have noticed if you are too happy other people will look at you funny, wondering what is wrong with you. Yes, it's true, people are suspicious of happy people. No matter, I will continue to amuse myself. My grandmother was right, God helps those who help themselves. I think that applies to happiness as well.    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment