Sunday, February 7, 2021

the final retreat

  The time you have here is your life. That's the way you think of it anyway. Yesterday is history, we are all aware of that but it's your history, which is differed from my history. That's true even when we share a common history. Rather strange when you think of it in that fashion. History continues to grow throughout your life. You are witness to the arrivals and departures. There will be many changes during your time on this earth that much is guaranteed. You'll spend much of your life trying to determine just where the story begins, for yourself that is, on an individual basis. Where do you fit in? 
 When you are young you seldom look to the past instead focusing on the future and what you want it to be. Then, you arrive, only to discover it isn't at all what you thought it might be. Being an adult proves to be somewhat of a disappointment. It isn't nearly as much fun as you had anticipated. Well you know what they say, anticipation is often greater than the reality. I'd say that was true. But there are highlights to sustain you. Children, grandchildren, a wonderful spouse, goals achieved and a continuing belief in the future. You haven't been deterred from that dream. You remain convinced life will go on, just as it always has, generation after generation. That was the thought as far back as nine generations ago right here in America. Then the American revolution happened. History hadn't changed but the future sure did! It's where, on my maternal side, my roots begin in America. That is so because prior to that there was no America. Where were your ancestors then? I'm proud to say mine where there when the flag was raised in triumph. 
 Since that flag was first raised in 1777 someone in my family has saluted it! That flag had thirteen stars and thirteen stripes in accordance with the continental congress instructions. In 1792 the Betsy Ross flag was quite popular with the people as the tale of Betsy sewing that flag was circulated. Today that story is considered fake news by historians. There is no evidence to support the story whatsoever and that flag was never approved as the national ensign. In 1794 the flag had fifteen stripes and fifteen stars. Yes, read that again. The flag had fifteen stripes and fifteen stars. It is the flag that was flying over Ft. McHenry when Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner. It remained in that design until 1815 when the flag act was passed returning her to thirteen stripes and it was decided a star would be added for each state. The last star added was for Hawaii on July, 4, 1960. I was seven years old, well almost 16 days short of that. Exactly ninety years prior to that, in 1870 my great grandfather was born on American soil. The first of the Reichart paternal line. His father, my 2nd great grandfather fought in the civil war. He fought to preserve the union. 
 I include that history here as reference. If you are of my generation, the baby boomers, you have seen the flag respected and disrespected. In your youth you stood in the classroom and recited that Pledge of Allegiance while holding your hand over your heart. The flag was displayed in every classroom. You were taught the basic lessons. Never let the flag touch the ground! That was the big rule and you fold it carefully when putting it away. When the Flag passes by in a parade, you stand at attention, hand over heart or render a hand salute depending on your position in life. Later we saw those that started wearing the flag as a piece of clothing! Abbie Hoffman did that in '68 and was arrested for it. You know how it all turned out, the lawyers arguing he had a right to do that. Today you may see the flag anywhere and on anything. Clothing, coolers or caskets, makes no difference anymore. You see a blue stripe added, to support the police. Today the flag is treated like an ornament. A decorative piece that may be utilized in any fashion whatsoever. 
 History, and the story it tells. You have to reach a certain age to begin to appreciate the story being told. Many today would like to rewrite the past and that is a big mistake. We should learn from the past and embrace the values of those lessons. Our flag, the national standard is a representation of all of that. First raised by revolutionaries and kept flying by the blood of American solders, that flag is sacred. I am remined each time I see her flying of that history. I remember in my own times when she was honored and respected. During my time in the service I was there for the "call to colors" each morning. I watched as the flag was raised, proudly, ceremoniously, and with utmost respect. I've seen her dipped in recognition of others countries standards, a naval tradition between passing ships. I've seen her flown at half-staff in mourning for those lost. I've seen her draped across the coffin of the dead and saw the tears shed when handed to a widow! And today I tremble. I fear I am going to witness the final retreat. Retreat is the ceremony performed at the end of the day on Military installations to signal the end of the day. Retreat is sounded and the flag lowered, carefully folded, and stowed away for the night. I fear that I may see that ceremony for the last time during my lifetime. Retreat isn't a sign of surrender, it is a signal of an end. There are those that would end my America, hand it over without a struggle, without a moments notice or thought. They are the ones looking to the future and forgetting about the past. They are the ones saying, it's only a flag, a piece of cloth. They scoff at the "old" folks that place importance on such. 
 I tremble when I read a simple historical fact. The average life span for a Democracy is between two hundred and two hundred fifty years. The founding fathers were aware of that and so created a Republic. The hope was to create a government of the people to endure the ages. Yet today all we hear is Democracy! In a Democracy we can do whatever we like as long as we vote on it. Whether that action is moral, or just, plays little into the decision making these days. Consider a nation that believes killing the unborn is democratic! Yes, somewhere between 1787, the year the constitution was signed, and 2020 the Republic was displaced and a Democracy took root. How many years are left? How many years before the final retreat is sounded? 
 In my opinion there are those with their lips on the bugle as I write these words. They have been voted in! It won't change the past, but it will change the future. Consider this: we are now being told that to fight for your country is an insurrection! To fight for, to defend those principles that form a Republic is an insurrection. An insurrection against whom? Against Democracy is the answer. What have you learned from the past? On which side of history will you stand? It is my firm hope that I will be there when reveille is sounded again. Just as my ancestors stood and saluted the flag so shall I. Will you stand with me?      

1 comment:

  1. Taking the Capital by force IS an insurrection! Causing a civil war on the streets of our country IS an insurrection. Fighting for your country is not done THAT way. We have laws for a reason...and weren't you the one who was always touting 'law and order'? That seems to have a new meaning to you now.

    ReplyDelete