Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Seeing hope

  My grandson Mark applied for and received an internship this summer. He will be working for the Caroline County States' attorney. I know that he is excited for this opportunity and so am I. He has expressed an interest in law and politics in general. This internship will definitely provide some insight into the workings of both. Mark is quite the observant young man and will be paying attention. He is also not afraid to state his opinions or views on a subject. Thing is, he is always well informed before he speaks. He has an excellent memory for facts and references. Last I knew he had most of the amendments committed to memory. It is a reflection of the times we live in. Mark does have conservative leanings but I wouldn't label him a strict conservative by any means. He does have some of that swagger of youth, he knows it all! I'm certain this experience will teach him a few lessons that will be hard to swallow. The way things should work and the way they do are often quite different. My hope is he doesn't become disillusioned with things. It will be an eye opener, I'm certain of that.
 It does make me proud to see him taking steps in the right direction. This will be a feather in his cap. He is aware of building a resume for the future. Mark has a level head and knows the importance of such. He is a member of the National Honor Society, an athlete and involved with the community. He serves with the teen court acting sometimes as Judge. It is my understanding all the teens take turns performing the various functions. This summer he will also be an assistant counselor at Church camp. He has attended this camp every year since he was old enough to go. He has been visiting various colleges and universities and planning for that. He is, of course, hoping for a scholarship of some type. I have no doubt that he will receive a few.
 I know it is only a part time position but it is a foot in the door. The importance of that can not be overlooked. Mark will not compromise however, he will stand his ground on matters of importance to him. He is a confident young man, not arrogant, just self confident. It is an exciting time watching him mature and grow. Sure you enjoy the grandkids when they are little, seeing their excitement at the littlest of things. The sheer joy of young children is a contagious thing. But, they don't stay young forever. I watched as my own children went out into the world, making their own paths. I struggled with that but took pride in their accomplishments. Now it is time for the grandchildren. Has it really been that long? Time has a way of sneaking by us all. It is satisfying to look back and admire a job well done. It is exciting to look forward and imagine the possibilities. With each succeeding generation making progress it gives us hope. With a grandson like Mark, I am confident in the future!
That's a great feeling.    

No comments:

Post a Comment