Thursday, May 31, 2018

a guaranteed faith

 It has been said that all things change over time. I would say that isn't exactly the truth, it is only the manner in which we view or practice things that changes over time. That is why the elderly complain about children. It is really quite simple, as I find most things to be at their essence. It does seem the more " educated " man becomes the more he likes to complicate things. I suppose if you have those advanced degrees the wish is to impose them on others, to prove your superiority. " Knowledge without humility is vanity " ( A.W. Tozer ) Einstein said, " if you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself " I agree with both of those gentlemen. There really isn't much that changes over time, life processes remain the same, and the manner in which men wish to be treated. That isn't to say there is anything inherently wrong with changes. I'm not saying that, what I am saying is,  what men want changes very little.
 I, of course, write only from my perspective. I report what I have seen, learned or experienced in my lifetime, a lifetime not yet complete and therefore subject to change. There are some changes that quite naturally make me uncomfortable, a departure from what I expect. The worship of God, as I perceive it, has changed. Where once we prayed in humbled whispers we now shout in jubilation at a God we no longer know. We strike up the band,  instead of sending up prayers. Faith is displayed in shows of testimony, impressing our belief upon others,  rather than confessing our shortcomings.          Now, all that is not really new, some folks have always worshipped in that fashion. It is just a cultural thing. There is no right or wrong as far as that goes. That is to say, as long as the end result is the same. And what is the purpose, the desired end result of worship? To please our God and gain eternal life for ourselves. That's pretty much the basic purpose. Really a selfish thing when viewed in that fashion, the desired result being a reward. But that is what we are taught, for the most part. That is the incentive! Worship is the means to an end. I'd say that worship as a means can take you down the wrong path altogether. Worship is a function of the heart and a personal thing. The purpose of worship is to establish a relationship with your God. It is not to establish a relationship with my God. That is the distinction I feel is being lost in the show. It is that that causes my discomfort. Historically it is the search for God that has been the impetus for good and evil. Little inspires folks to action more than their God.
 I have seen a change in that regard. God seldom provides instant rewards, we must be patient. Are we not taught that lesson from the moment we are told about God? The reason for that is God provides us with the intangible. It is those intangibles that bring the final comfort to our lives. Happiness, contentment, peace of mind, love , all those things we can't purchase on Amazon! But it takes time and devotion. Now I see the setting aside of God in favor of the things that provide instant gratification, immediate relief. The attempt is being made to replace God with science. We can explain it all and provide artificial means to achieve an end. Of course we first remove the idea of life beyond death. That's why we need to dismiss the premise of God as the creator of life. With the removal of God we can change the narrative altogether. The only reward is what we receive here on earth. In so doing we can justify our response to perceived inequities and injustice. We can then use the very things we wish to obtain as tools against those that would deny us what they can't provide in the first place! We will legislate faith as a form of government! A " faith " that provides immediate relief and benefits, no waiting, no praying, no hoping. It's a guarantee.
 Is the worship of God empirical? For me it certainly is. I have seen works that could be accomplished by no other. There is the natural world as well as what we call miracles. In my experience God does interact with the world. It is not a theory, and I have to admit,  not really logical. I say the later because I can't grasp quite why God created the world in the first place, to amuse himself? But, then again, I don't need to concern myself with that. The world is real, I live in it and have to deal with that. I believe God created it all. I don't believe he would create something just to see it destroyed. That includes me.
Matthew 6:19-21 19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
 Matthew explained it a bit more concisely than I did. I just wanted to give my point of view. The difficulty for us all is to separate our treasures from our hearts!


No comments:

Post a Comment