Sunday, May 20, 2018

belief is the vehicle

 When I was small I often heard sermons concerning victory. The victory of Christ, triumph over sin and beating the devil. I was told how imperfect and frail I was in this world. I needed a savior and salvation was at hand if I but believed. The only guarantee in life was the one given by Jesus, eternal life was granted to the faithful. I was taught it was the little everyday things that you did that gained  access to heaven. It was the next life that was the goal, not this one. I was here by the grace of God to do his will, without question.
 Without being aware I was being taught how to live life. Yes we are all Gods creatures, great and small, and we all have a purpose. We are not to question that purpose, just fulfill it. Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. I heard that almost as a mantra. Humility was prized above all else. God is the master! That was contrasted with Onward Christian soldiers. There is a time to fight! A time for everything and everything in time.
 I was thinking about all of that this morning. I was thinking what has changed in the world that we find ourselves where we are. I was thinking it was this change in attitude toward our God and the teaching of those lessons. Many today preach of Gods promise to us, eternal life,  without preaching about the responsibilty that goes with that. All you have to do is ask forgiveness and it will be granted. We don't hear nearly as much about the judgment of God. I hear about sin, I hear about not committing it, but I don't hear much about the consequences. I hear beg forgiveness and it is granted. That is in line with what is being taught to our children in general. Setting aside the religious nature of the message,  many are being told they will get whatever they want just for the asking. The missing part is that promise of eternal life, a reward for doing what is right. The result being when they don't get what they want they just strike out against the world. They have no hope, no dreams beyond this material existence and the result is what you are seeing. With no path to victory they give up the fight!
 The overall message is different than when I was a child. I was taught that we each had a station in life. You were born into the world and it was your responsibilty to find your way. It was the choices you made that determined your path. God had given you free will to pick and choose, you and you alone are responsible for that. Be prepared. Do not assume you will be successful in everything you do. Do not lose sight of the goal. The goal is life everlasting! The big difference between what I was taught and what is being taught? I was taught that there was life everlasting and it could be good or bad! Eternal life in and of itself wasn't a guarantee of happiness and comfort. That was pretty much determined by those choices you made. God would judge you! If he just granted forgiveness every single time what was the point? That is the basis for faith. Without that, what is the point in any of this? Belief is the vehicle of change. Does death change anything? It does for those still living, but what about me? It could, and I had best be prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment