Monday, May 14, 2018

excuses and reason

 I had a rather busy weekend and that is a good thing. I haven't had much time to listen to the news or read all the postings on social media. As a consequence I really haven't much on my mind this morning. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. The writing of these blogs has become a habit. To not post something is a strange feeling, like I am forgetting something. I'm certain you know that feeling. It is that nagging feeling that will follow you all day. We are creatures of habit after all and some of us develop habits faster than others. It is a struggle we all face and should be aware of. Restraint and self control is what is required. Patience is a virtue as well. It does appear that a great deal of those old fashioned virtues are being lost in the shuffle of todays hectic world. That is simply because they are not being practiced on a regular basis, too many distractions.
 Anyone that knows me knows how much I like to talk. I think of it as being engaged. Isn't that what the mental health professionals call that? We do have to check with the professionals on everything these days. As I often like to point out the only difference between a professional and an amateur is getting paid for it.  I also like to point out that some of those " pros " aren't worth a dime. Seems like the more in debt those professionals put themselves, the more value they place on their time. Whereas I understand the economic principle, in reality it just doesn't work that way. Although I have noticed a proliferation of professionals that come in handy for legal reasons. If you mess up hire a professional to explain your behavior, IE: it really wasn't your fault you have a disorder of some type, a professional says so. Works really well for those " mental health " issues that can not be clinically proven or disproven. What we used to define as, nuts. I wasn't nearly as engaged this weekend as I would normally be. I was distracted by being productive! Well isn't that a turn of events. Could be there is something to this notion of too much social media, too much traveling on the information superhighway.
 I do like to know what's happening in the world around me. In school we called it current events and it was required information. You really were expected to be aware of what was happening in the world. I was expected to draw my own conclusions about the impact of those events. That was to be accomplished by looking to the past, reviewing those events and the results. It was a simpler time I suppose. We did learn to expect the same results from the same actions. As a result we did tend to temper our actions towards others, fully expecting the same action in return. If I called you names you more than likely would reciprocate. We called that learning to get along with one another. The expectation wasn't that the other person would change their behavior to suit you, so you made adjustments in your attitude accordingly. Of course back then you didn't call in the law or activist groups to support your actions. You were expected to defend your position, based on the merits of that position. Reason ruled over excuses. Seems to me that has changed lately. In current events that is what I hear the most, the excuses! I don't hear a lot of sound reasoning going on. Just roll on emotion! Pick an issue and think about it. Listen to the narrative and that's what you will hear, excuses.
 Well time to start the week. Places to go and things to do. I am glad for the improved weather conditions and I will be spending less time on this computer. It is true that too much social media isn't a benefit. Strange how I now have all the worlds information literally at my fingertips and I just get distracted by the minutia of everyday life. It really does say something about me. I'm not certain I like what it says! I'll have to give that more thought. There has to be an excuse for that, maybe I'll consult a professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment