Wednesday, March 28, 2018

tough guy

 Well, you just never know do you ? There I was going merrily along and just like that, a heart attack. Following two days of discomfort my wife talks me into going to the emergency room. They take an EKG and everyone starts to freak out. They inform me I am having a heart attack ! Huh, I didn't think it was that bad but next thing you know I'm signing a consent form. I'm wheeled in what they call the " cath " room and the procedure begins. I have to say I was wide awake the whole time and it was certainly an embarrassing situation ! Not much I could do about though, so I told a few of my corny jokes. When they told me the right side of my heart was being affected I said, guess it is a half hearted attempt ! LOL, They said they hadn't heard that one before. I'm betting they have but was humoring me along. I'd have done the same if the table was reversed. But, I was then taken to the ICU and monitored for two days. And that is pretty much what happened. Nothing overly dramatic. It is what it is, or least what it was, we'll have to wait and see about tomorrow.
 The number of inquiries about me on social media was a bit overwhelming. I have to admit it is touching. I felt a bit like Sally Field giving her famous " they like me " speech. Well, it was surprising how many are paying attention. My wife even received a comforting message. That meant a lot to me, and to her. I mean, how thoughtful was that ? I have a wonderful group of friends that much is certain. 
 Now I can't see a whole lot of changes taking place. Yes, I'll have to modify my diet a bit and get some more exercise. From all accounts having a stent isn't a big deal. Just one of those things I guess. I am fortunate to be living in a time when they know about such things and the procedure has been perfected. It's a piece of cake. I won't be wearing any ribbons or claiming survivor status either. I'm grateful for everything that was done on my behalf. I'm especially grateful for the " love " I felt from all my friends. And I'm not one to go around saying " love " a lot. That's not very macho ! I have a rep you know, tough guy, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment