Friday, March 30, 2018

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday. When I was very small I can remember some businesses closing at 3 O'clock and the church bells ringing. Many people stopped whatever they were doing to observe a moment in history that changed the world. I don't recall anyone complaining or being offended, just a quiet respect. Yes, it only lasted a short while, but the acknowledgement was there. It seems like that was such a long time ago but it wasn't really. Sixty years ain't that much. But, it is three generations.
 You can't eat meat on Good Friday. That's a rule. I have never been Catholic but know that stipulation. My wife is a Methodist and insists we not eat meat. I don't know why she feels that way but I certainly honor it. With the meat thing, I can recall there was an alternate choice on the school lunch menu every Friday. That was until the Pope said it was okay. I think that happened back in 1965. I believe there has been more changes since then. If for no other reason it did serve as a reminder. We had a lot of reminders back in those days, today we tend to forget. It is a shift in society in a general way. Yes, back then there was no question we were a Christian nation, the only question was, which kind ? Today there are many that profess no Christian ties at all, and there are many new " kinds " as well. Seems like if you don't like what this Church is preaching, start your own. And please, don't get me started with these Mega-Churches.
 This is all tied into my thinking about religion in general. I've written about it before and likely will again. The question for me is do you go to church as a celebrant or a supplicant ? Me, I tend to be on the supplicant side of the aisle. I've saving the celebration for when I get the reward. In the meantime I think I had best be humble, ask for forgiveness and understanding, and behave myself ! You see I do believe your choice of denomination doesn't really matter as long as you hold the belief. The way you choose to express that belief is an individual thing. So, I'm not saying one way is better than another, just noticing the differences. You see I was taught to address him as God the Father. I was also taught how to address my father. Hey, there is even a commandment about that. Now I wouldn't go to my father, calling him by his first name and making demands. I also wouldn't go to him full of expectations. I really am at his mercy. I was a child then and remain a child of God. I never got very far telling my Father how much I loved him, or telling him how great he was. No, my father had a tendency to judge me based on the actions I took.
 That may be the reason we are seeing some of the things taking place today, Perhaps the children aren't being taught the proper respect for the father. Well, we know many today don't have a father !I was taught to fear God and my father ! A fear born out of respect. I'm thinking we need to bring back some of those reminders we have abandoned in favor of convenience and profits. All I hear these days is , don't judge. Well the deal is you will be judged and you had best be prepared for that. I was taught that lesson. I was judged on my words and my actions. Back then we called it parenting. Mom and Dad let you know if you were right or wrong, and judgement was immediate and, for the most part, final. To have a conviction overturned required some pretty substantial evidence.
 But today is Good Friday and I will pause at three. I'm betting Walmart won't close there doors, even for a minute. Will any business ? What is sadder still is so many will close their hearts to the message. A solemn day indeed. I have always wondered why it was called Good Friday. Good for us ! That's the only reason I can think of.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment