Friday, March 16, 2018

back at the five and dime

 When I was small we went to the five and ten cent store. Living in a rural town we didn't have a Woolworth's but we had the 5&10 anyway. That is all I remember ever calling that store. I expect it had another name. But I remember well the little wooden bins all in lines on that creaky wooden floor. The best toys were hung on hooks from the ceiling to keep little hands off them I assume. About this time of year they would have chicks for sale. Yes, live chicks for Easter. The 5&10 was a magical place for a child. You just might find anything in there. And up front, by the cashier counter was the most amazing donut machine. You could watch those donuts travel on a chain into the hot grease and emerge on the other side. The smell alone was like a sweet breath of fresh air straight from heaven.
 But that store was also a place of great temptation. I once helped myself to something, a pack of baseball cards I think. When we got to the car Mom questioned me about those cards. Her glare of truth was an unstoppable force, stronger than any lie detector machine yet invented, and I confessed. I was taken right back into that store and made to explain to the owner just why I felt I had a right to take those cards. Saying sorry wasn't enough, no, I had to explain myself. I knew this man, he was a Jewish guy, Mom had told me that lots of times. I remembered from Sunday school that Jesus tried to explain himself to the Jews,  and what happened after that. I didn't think I would meet the same fate, that's illegal now isn't it , but I was sure scared. Scared straight as they say nowadays, as I never took another thing.
 I was thinking about that yesterday as I chatted with my wife. We had ridden past the dollar store and I remarked, remember when we went to the 5&10, now you go to the dollar store. Yes, that is where we have arrived, from nickels and dimes to dollars. We pay more in sales tax than we ever paid for the items themselves. When thinking about it in that context I do feel old. I remember well penny candy and packs of baseball cards for a quarter, including the gum. I could buy a 45RPM record of the latest hit for 95 cents. The album was for the richer kids at almost four dollars ! I didn't buy many of those. The dollar store just doesn't have the same atmosphere though. All the ones I have been in seem crowded and disorganized. The 5&10 I remember was kept nice and neat. There was obvious pride in ownership. Now it is all about sales. To be honest I suppose it was back then as well, after all, the man was in business to make money but it didn't seem that way. There was no signs saying no backpacks, course we didn't have backpacks then except for hiking, and no signs limiting the number of children permitted at any one time. The owner kept a sharp lookout most of the time, like a roving security camera ! And if he said he saw it, that was proof positive, you were guilty ! That's all that was needed back then, the word of an adult. Didn't matter what adult either, if an adult said it, it was the truth.
 Given everything I hear and see in the news lately I needed that little stroll down memory lane. We have a few stores around here that have those old wooden floors just like the five and dime of my youth. I've been known to walk in there just to walk on the floor. Seems silly doesn't it ? But, still it is a comfort at times if only for a moment. I can feel the floor give just a little and let out a creak. I'm back at the five and dime.      

No comments:

Post a Comment