Friday, August 4, 2017

playing the game

The game of life. That is what I have heard people call our presence of this earth. Well, I want to go back to a time when the rules were understood. It seems to me there is only one rule now. That rule says, whenever you feel something isn't fair, change the rule. That is how it looks to me anyway. Even when there is a rule you can always use the argument, that is what it says, but that isn't what it means. In that way, the rule is changed without really changing the rule at all ! Funny how that works isn't it ? The real problem, as I see it, is that folks seem to think that a society is just them. What I mean by that is a failure to understand what a society or a nation really is. Let us consult the good old dictionary. One definition I feel applicable is that a society is a group or organization of people dedicated to a common cause or purpose. I would say our Nation is a society. I would go on to say a society requires order and discipline in order to function. Remember the purpose of a society is to achieve a common goal. The question in this case is, what is that goal ? According to the founding fathers that would be life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I'd say that was a fairly general mission statement. A form of government was chosen to accomplish that goal. A Republic was chosen. Why was that ? Because everyone knows that you can't please all of the people all of the time. It is was agreed that a two-thirds majority was more equitable than a straight democracy.
"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%." Those are the words of Thomas Jefferson and I agree.
 I bring this up to point out what should be an obvious thing. You have to have rules. The rules will not always favor your position. The rules shouldn't be changed to accommodate the minority. I know, I know, OMG what a prejudicial statement to make ! Isn't that the reaction we will get if we dare to say that ? The point here being you can not make rules enforceable solely on a case by case basis ! Those rules are intended to benefit the society, or in this case a country. The discussion of what laws are benefitting the country and what laws are detrimental is the function of Congress. The supreme court issues their " opinion " as to the constitutionality of those laws. In other words are those laws consistent with the " mission statement " of the Constitution. Their job is not to decide if something is " fair " to each individual in the republic. That is an impossibility and we all know that. Sometimes things just aren't fair. The only way we can come close to being fair is to all play by the same rules ! That should be simple enough to understand but I'm not seeing that. All I hear is, it isn't fair. When a law doesn't benefit me directly, it isn't fair. As long as I have an excuse, it isn't fair. And now we are starting to make law based on " feelings. " It is acceptable for a person to do this because they " feel " a certain way. The responsibility of the society has shifted. Now the people in that society no longer have to play by the rules, the society must change the rules to accommodate the members. That just isn't the way it works folks !
 You know what I want ? I want a return to civility and decency. I want a society where we all know the rules. I want a society where you are held to account for your actions and your choices. I want my America back ! For far too many years I have watched as our government struggles to " fix all the troubles of the world " and ignores the needs of the society. Yes, America is a society. Look, all are welcome to join the society as long as they are willing to assimilate to the society. That means following the rules as established by that society ! It does not mean the society changes the rules to suit you !
 I will conclude with an obvious statement. In the game of life, the rules aren't always fair. Fairness is subject to time, place, and circumstance. Thing is the rules apply to everyone playing the game. When that rule works against you it does seem unfair. When the rule works in your favor however you just smile and wait for your next turn. Yes, that is how it works. Deal with it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment