Wednesday, August 2, 2017

act your age

 I had to get some bloodwork done and so was sitting in the waiting area. There was an elderly lady struggling to get up from her chair when she was called. I offered my hand to her, which she accepted. Smiling she thanked me and disappeared into the back room. In that brief moment I noticed she was dressed quite stylishly. What I mean is her wardrobe was up to date given her age group. Now that isn't to say seniors can't be fashionable just that seniors usually opt for comfort over style. Perhaps she was comfortable in those heels she was wearing and those slacks being as tight as they were. Look I'm just sayin', it was noticeable. Anyway that lead me to this thought, I wonder what she thinks her age is ? You know what I mean ? We all have an age that we think of ourselves as being. That age has little to do with birthdays or intellect ! Just how old do you feel ? That is what I am thinking about. Me, I think I am in my forties. Yup, that is how I think about myself. That estimation is based upon what I perceive forty somethings to be like in general. It has nothing to do with looks. It is solely based on a feeling. Hey, I know how I feel and I don't feel 64. Of course I've never been 64 before so I have no frame of reference.That is the problem here. If I went by feelings I shouldn't be collecting social security, I've got a few more years of productivity in me. It is only in these modern times that we quit " retire " and expend those productive years just having fun. Well, that is the goal, the promise anyway. There is legislation that is moving that age requirement further. The reason for that is an economic one however, not a social one. I do think we have a social obligation to be productive citizens for as long as we are capable. There are times when I feel remiss in fulfilling that social obligation, then I think, nah, it's fine !
 My mind is wandering just a bit though. What I am asking is do you ever get too old for fashion ? Fashion comes and goes. By its' very definition it is dated. I wonder if we become dated as well ? I'm certain that we do as far as language goes. If I start speaking in the jargon of " today " I do come off as either silly or just plain foolish. Yo, what's up with that just doesn't work for me. You know what I mean. But what about fashion ? Is that true about fashion as well ? I believe that is dependent upon our physical appearance. Sad but true ! We shouldn't judge people by their physical appearance but we do. We all do that ! Fashion is dependent upon that quality ( good looks ) for the most part. Fashion generally reflects our age. We develop our own " style " or " look " however you want to put that. Mine is blue jeans and a tee shirt. I recently took up wearing a newsboys cap and changed the style of my glasses. I did so to reflect my inner feelings. I no longer want to wear a ball cap and aviator glasses. My inner age making that decision. It was a bold move ! Why ? Simply because the people I know have come to expect a certain " look " from me. A change in that outer appearance can be a shock to some. And yes, you do risk ridicule, a consideration. I have noticed that the young and the old do not seem to be as susceptible to that possibility in making their choices. Strangely when you are young you often make those choices to impress someone, and when you are old you make that choice because you just don't care anymore. I like it, deal with it. It is all a product of our inner age. Is the later, gasp, maturity ?
 So how much does your inner age go with your physical age ? How old do you think you really are ? Are you really as young as you feel ? Only you can know that answer. I think it is probably different for each of us. How we reach that age is an enduring mystery. Time and circumstance are certainly factors to be considered. Your physical well being has to play a part. Attitude is integral but can not control that feeling. To put it succinctly, you know what you can pull off and what you can't. The only problem is getting others to agree. Oh it is great to be young at heart I wouldn't disagree with that. But in the case of that lady I mentioned, does a " cane " really go with heels ? A fashion choice perhaps or her inner age manifesting itself ? Either way, she looked fabulous. Dressed to " go out " as we senior folks might say. Ah yes, there was a day when one dressed according to the occasion but that was a long time ago, in a different America. When I was a kid my parents would holler at me, act your age ! I have found most of us do; for the most part, act our age. That age doesn't always match our years or our appearance. Just how old are you ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment