Friday, September 13, 2024

Memories matured

  It is sometimes hard for me to realize that it has been 31 years since I retired from the Navy. That's an entire decade longer than I was actually in. When I began writing these posts I wanted to include my memories, it's in the title. For the most part I have found my memories are all pre 1971. That's a strange thing as that was fifty three years ago, a half a century. When I was a kid time was measured mostly in days or weeks. Remember waiting for Christmas? For me, that began a few weeks after Thanksgiving. Today I speak about decades as though they were days. I remember the 70's well enough. 
  So just when do our memories begin? How long does it take something to become a memory? More properly though is how long does it take for a memory to be old. That's really what I'm thinking about. 1993 wasn't that long ago, those memories aren't that old, except to other people that is. Einstein was correct about time being relative. It all depends upon who you are talking to, yourself, your contemporaries and peers, your children, your grandchildren or a complete stranger. The past is different for all of them. Even when they shared the same past they remember it a bit differently. 
  A bit of this came to mind as I was having a brief discussion on Facebook. There was a meme or whatever showing some sailors in their dress blues. A couple of them had three red "hash" marks. Now if you don't know what a hash mark in the Navy is, it is earned for every four years of service. If you go 12 years consecutively without having any non-judicial punishments on your record you are then entitled to wear gold stripes and hash marks. I had made a remark about those guys wearing red hash marks, saying they must be trouble makers. I figured anyone that had been in the Navy would understand and get a chuckle out of that. It wasn't intended to be a disparaging remark, an attack on our beloved veterans, some took it that however. I can only laugh.
  The conversation went on for a little bit with others weighing in on their memories of serving. I heard a few "sea stories" about those wearing red stripes, gold stripes and how they were just participation trophies. Well, I had to laugh as yes you could say if you only have red hash marks after 12 years or more they are participation trophies. You could also say if they are gold it just means you learned to pay well with others and were the teachers pet. In brief, you didn't get in trouble. I confessed that it took me 16 years to achieve that as I did hit a snag during my first enlistment. All told though I realized I was talking about things from over thirty years ago. Apparently there have been some changes made. At least some of those commenting insisting I don't know what I'm talking about. Ok, I understand that, we don't have the same memories. 
  After that discussion ended I was thinking about those years in the Navy. I had stumbled upon a few old photographs of some shipmates earlier in the day. It took some time but I did remember the names of 4 out of 5. It also took a while to recall just what ship I was on then. Luckily the name is on the ballcaps and I could zoom in to verify that. So I thought some and have come to the conclusion that my Navy days now qualify for memories. I may start to include some sea stories in these blogs as well. Tales of the old days, of how it was back in my day. And yes, I'm certain it was much tougher back then than it is today. Isn't that always the truth of it? In my time mail call was actual mail, letters written by those thinking of you and were treasured. Today I suppose you can get a text message, a video, or snapchat from anywhere in the world. I'm not sure what technology is available at sea though. Yes back in my day you were still expected to be a "sailor" and live up to that image. But that is the sea stories portion I may write about one day. 
  So how long does it take for something to become a memory? How long before it is old. How long before you can share those memories without fear of judgement? History provide us all with an excuse. That's just the way it was back in my day. I'm amused as we seem to be spending a great deal of time and energy apologizing for the past these days. All I can say is I lived and I learned. Some of the lessons have stayed with me while others have been dismissed. It's alright, it was a long time ago. I was young then, another great excuse. And the thing about all that is, when it isn't alright, I don't remember that. Yes our memories are useful things depending upon which ones you chose. The old ones are best! That is always the case. It takes years to understand and appreciate that. Ironically by the time you do, it's almost over. That's the reason for life after death, time to appreciate your memories. You really do get to build your own. 

                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment