Friday, April 19, 2024

what's your twenty?

  Leaving this morning for a quick visit with my son in New York state. Still a bit chilly upstate but I promised to help out with a few things. He just had some minor surgery on his hand and so could use a hand. LOL His mower needs a need clutch and his car a few abs sensors replaced. I can handle that. I've booked a hotel, prices have gone up, filled the gas tank, price has gone up and checked on the tolls and they have gone up. But on the bright side I'm not driving an electric vehicle! The drive should take about six hours or so according to google maps. I have to admit I like that service, although I get annoyed when it keeps saying, recalculating. But occasionally I hear, speed trap ahead or there is an alternate route that will save me five minutes. Yes, an improvement over the maps I used to get at the gas station. Of course, not so good when you lose the signal. 
 I will be taking the alternate route to avoid tolls and the interstates as much as possible. Yes, it takes a little longer but is far more scenic. It also provides far more opportunity to stop and get a drink or whatever. I do drive an older vehicle; a 2004 Ford Focus and it isn't the best for the interstate crowd. Oh, it will cruise all day long at 60 or 65 mph without any issues, but most are driving 75 or 80! I'm getting old I guess; I don't want to drive at those speeds anymore and especially don't want to do that in my little Ford. No hurry, I'll get there when I arrive. The drive across the mountains is always an adventure and I like to enjoy the view. 
 This short visit will also be a short break from social media. I may post my good morning or check in for a minute or two but nothing beyond that. I'm not taking a laptop with me. I've found it is always a hassle to connect to the free wi-fi networks and have read where they aren't really very safe. Not that I'm worried about anyone seeing my personal information or scamming me but there are those that seem to be happy just to mess up your computer. I think it best to simply avoid all that whenever I can. Facebook will be in business when I get back. My e-mail will be overflowing with junk, spam and all the contests I have won. I'll send all that to the trash bin when I get home.
 Time to get going. Keeping the greasy side down and the shiny side up, on the road again. Heading north, but not to Alaska. Not taking route 66. 10-4. Not warm enough to need air conditioning in the car, although it is equipped with such, so I'll roll down the window. Well, that electric motor will lower it anyway, I miss my vent window. The map lady will be giving me directions. Catch you on the flip side, road dog over and out. I'll be 10-100 a few times and hoping to avoid a 10-42.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment