Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Awareness

  I heard a lot of complaining about Transgender Visibility Day, or whatever that is being called, being held on Easter Sunday. Biden made some sort of proclamation concerning that and was vilified for that. But as I understand it this "awareness day" has been observed on March 31 since its' inception. That happened in 2009. First, I've heard of it though. It will fall on Easter again in 2086. I'm thinking all of that will be forgotten by then. I'm hoping Christianity hasn't been banned from the calendar by then! Some have interpreted the separation of church and state as meaning just that. It isn't what was intended at all and that should be clear enough to anyone that studies just the basic tenets of our history. But I'm not going to get started on that topic this morning.
 Now having heard nothing about this day of visibility in previous years I had to go to the internet to read up on the subject. I opened several articles and explanations and was amazed at the bias presented. I didn't receive an explanation about the necessity for any such "observance." I read where we are supposed to be celebrating their contributions to society. And their contributions are what? Didn't see anything listed concerning that at all. What would those contributions be? Drag Queen story hour? I'm just at a loss to think of anything they would have contributed that the "straight" people haven't as well. Their claim to fame is based on what? Those folks suffer from dysphoria. Not too long ago that would have been the diagnosis, gender dysphoria. 
 I don't really have an issue with this Transgender Visibility Day thing, I just say, whatever. As I said I never heard of it before. I'm a Republican but do not agree with those attacking Biden on this issue. His administration didn't invent or authorize this day or the date on which it falls. In fact, it isn't anything "official" at all. It's just a day and a date chosen by a transgender person to "celebrate" being transgender. It's really not that much different from Kwanza, another "holiday" recently invented. Personally, if I where the President, or in any position of authority representing all of America, I wouldn't have said anything about that at all. I would have simply said Happy Easter and left it at that. Making a proclamation about Transgender day is akin to making a proclamation about national hot dog day or any of the other 2000 "national days." Might get you a few votes in an election year but serves no other purpose.
 The United States has eleven national holidays. That's it, eleven. Those are the only ones the government should be giving any endorsement too. All the others are "national" days. To get a national day you need to fill out a form with your idea. A committee must unanimously vote to approve it. They choose about thirty every year. Transgender Visibility Day is not one of those. I certainly don't need a day to make transgender people visible to me. That agenda is being shoved down my throat every single day of the year. Now I don't hate transgender people, I don't want to harm them in any way but that doesn't change anything regarding my feelings toward that illness. 
 Yes, it is a mental illness. I don't hate people with cancer or chicken pox and will tell them the same thing I will tell any transgender person, seek help. I would also tell them you are not special, not some group that deserves special recognition because of your illness. People hate other people for every reason under the sun, and that will always be so. The more you antagonize others, the more likely they are to hate and cause harm. That is especially true when you begin to attack their moral and religious beliefs. And that is what many saw on Easter Sunday, an attack on their beliefs. Are we to replace Easter and Christmas with special interest groups agendas? That proclamation made by the President of the United States was a slap to the face of many Americans. He would have been better served to say nothing at all. If we are to talk about awareness, it should begin with that. He should have been aware! 

No comments:

Post a Comment