Friday, April 5, 2024

POV

  While a great many people are excited for the eclipse I'm just sitting here going, ho-hum. I just read where hotels and motels are being booked solid for that event. One motel six charging 949 dollars for a room. I wonder if any of those folks realize that the whole thing from beginning to end will be live streamed, recorded and replayed on every platform imaginable. The whole thing lasts less than five minutes. And much depends upon the weather. Here in Maryland in the Baltimore area partly cloudy is being forecast. You might see it, you might not. It will get dark for a few minutes though and I'm told the birds and other animals may make different sounds. 
 I'm just not getting caught up in the hype. I have witnessed an eclipse on at least one occasion that I can remember. Yup, the moon blocked out the sun for a brief period of time. I watched it using a mirror reflecting on a shoe box, no blindness or madness resulting from that. I have seen videos of an eclipse and have to say the view was much better. Now if that is your thing, go for it. There are any number of things I wouldn't walk across the street to see that others would pay hundreds for. Celebrities are among those things. Not all celebrities, but a good number of them I have zero interest in. That includes sports figures as well. I'm just not impressed by their presence any more than they would be by mine. 
 I will travel and pay the price to be entertained by certain individuals, within reason. I'm not standing in any line for hours on end, spending hundreds of dollars for a ticket to see anyone. I would like to go to the ball game, and I enjoy professional wrestling as forms of entertainment but tickets in the good seats are just too high in my opinion. I see no point in going to watch from such a distance I need binoculars! No, that doesn't interest me at all. I would pay absolutely no one for an autograph. No, I wouldn't. I am not paying for that, or to shake your hand and say hello. Neither one of those actions would have any value beyond that moment. If someone is signing autographs how many autographs are out there? I don't see the point. Richard Petty was in Ridgely Maryland for a car show some years back. Ridgely is five miles from my home. I went to the car show, saw Richard Petty signing autographs and waved at him. That was it. I didn't stand in line to meet and greet him for twenty bucks a pop! 
 I just wonder about all of that. I just don't see the fascination with it all. It's an eclipse, happens at least twice a year somewhere on the earth. Has been happening for millions of years. To me it's like celebrities, they come and go as well. I don't know any personally, but I figure that is their loss, not mine. I'll see you if I happen to run into you somewhere or you happen to run into me. You would most likely have to tell me who you are though, as I'm not much good at recognizing famous people. I would be the last person you would want as an eyewitness, to give a description of someone. I look in the mirror and barely recognize myself.
 Well, I hope everyone gets to see the eclipse in whatever manner they want. Be a real shame to travel hundreds of miles, spend hundreds of dollars to be ruined by a cloud. I haven't purchased any glasses for viewing and have no plan to look either. I do have a welding helmet that I could use if I chose to. I probably won't though. For me, just not worth the effort. I'll watch it on the news or on Facebook. I guess it all depends upon your point of view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment