Wednesday, April 3, 2024

safety first

  I keep hearing all the warnings about looking at the sun during a solar eclipse. It was reported that 30% of the population are not aware that staring into the sun could damage their eyes. The push is on to buy "approved" eclipse glasses. The news outlets going as far as recommending brands and sources for that. There is also concern for those that believe eclipses are associated with bad things, bad omens and the like. There is a phone number for support groups to help you through this stressful time. That is especially important if you are living in the area of totality! Fortunately for me I'm in the 80- 90% range. That was a relief to hear.
 I realize that the meteorologists are all excited, it's their time to shine. Pun intended. But I get it. The weather man is correct about 50% of the time when predicting no more than ten days out. That is a statistical fact. Their incidence of being correct significantly reduces after that time frame. But an eclipse, now that is different. It can be predicted with 100% certainty. That has to be exciting for them. They get to warn you about looking directly into the sun. Well, I sort of figured that out by myself when I was very young, too young to remember, because it hurt my eyes. Not being a sadomasochist, I don't enjoy pain and avoid it whenever possible. According to three sources I would have to stare at the sun for 100 seconds for permanent retinal damage to occur. That time is dependent upon a bunch of factors but on average that's how long it would take. Try holding your breath for 100 seconds and think about staring into the sun. You would have to really enjoy the pain. 
 I have no plans to view the eclipse. I remember watching one when I was a teenager. I made a pin hole box to watch that. It was something I was taught in school, in science class. Eclipses happen at least twice every year, just not always where you can see them. Well, I guess you could if you really wanted too and had the money to chase after them. It's not like Haleys comet that only shows up every 75-79 years, last time in 1986. I don't remember seeing it however, just that it came by. The Heaven's gate cult killed themselves thinking a spaceship was following the Hale-Bopp comet. That was back in '97. I expect I'll see the eclipse on television or Facebook, I don't do X or twitter whatever it is being called these days. 
 I don't know I just think it is funny that we have to tell people to not stare into the sun. Isn't that just stating the obvious? Of course, I realize we do that a lot these days with our warning labels. Hot coffee may be hot, and knives may be sharp! Don't lean aluminum ladders on a power line and don't put your hands in a spinning washing machine. All of that is simply because of litigation. No one told me not to eat those Tide Pods. There wasn't a warning label! 
 Yeah well, don't stare into the sun for 100 seconds straight at any time! That is what the meteorologists are failing to say. I even goggled the question: is it only harmful to stare at the sun during an eclipse? I had to scroll down the page quite a way before finding any reference saying that it was. The majority of the responses just warned about looking at the sun during an eclipse. You really have to do your research! 
 Why are we allowing people to just walk around outside without any eye protection at all? They could stare at the sun! Wear your seatbelts, your helmets, wear a mask, wear sunscreen, get every vaccination and vaccine available and for God's sake wear sunglasses! Make sure they have the proper UV protection rating and are the approved models. It isn't just during the eclipse that staring at the sun is harmful. Sunup to sundown. Be safe! They ought to be a law about this! This isn't a situation of my body, my choice! This is about what is best. This requires government intervention and control! Just allowing people to walk around unprotected is ridiculous. Safety first! Make certain those sunglasses are ISO certified. And don't get me started on hearing protection! Ear buds and headphones? Well, in all fairness headphones and ear buds do come with a warning label. Still, we could limit the output on those devices, nothing over 70db.  

No comments:

Post a Comment