Saturday, April 27, 2024

an uncomfortable view

  Was chatting with someone on Facebook. It's chatting on social media, having a conversation when in person. Well maybe not so much a chat, rather an exchange of barbs. A chat is a friendly conversation, an exchange of ideas or viewpoints. It's really rather a delicate balance between the two. There being a physical barrier, often many miles apart, the gloves are off when it comes to smart retorts. People are far bolder in their assertations and accusations on social media than they ever would be in person. I find myself being a bit bolder in that regard as well, I'm not immune from that.
 As I was chatting with this individual, who had left a comment on my posting, I did thank her for reading my blog. The immediate retort was, I don't read your blogs. Okay, my mistake, just because you left a comment on that particular posting, I had assumed she read it. The truth was she had simply read my comment to someone else on that "thread", that's what they call all that these days, and rushed to the defense of the one I was talking about. An admirable quality I'll admit. You should come to the defense of your friends. My response to that was, I'd suggest that you do, read my blog that is, I've never learned anything from those that simply agree with me. I recall reading that bit of wisdom somewhere and have to acknowledge the validity of that statement. It can be an uncomfortable experience when it happens. 
 It's a strange thing though when there are those that comment only to antagonize. I understand it though, because if you want a response that is the easiest way to get it. We have all seen those meme's expressing that sentiment. Put a picture of something positive on Facebook and receive maybe three or four responses, likes or whatever. Post a political statement and people will pounce on that like a tiger on a fresh piece of meat! Post anything contrary to the current narrative of the left and be prepared to be assaulted. None of that stops me from posting my thoughts or opinions. It's the price I have to pay for using the platform. If I don't like it, I don't have to use it, or post a thing. It really does work both ways.
 I do enjoy the comments and back and forth I have with some "friends" on Facebook. We don't all agree with each other's views on politics, the economy or other general topics. We often trade statistics we glean from the internet, the never-ending resource where you can locate something to support your position on virtually any topic. Statistics can be fun. They are especially fun when the statistical fact flies in the face of perception. A fact like those that identify as African American comprise about 14% of the population. Yet if only 1.4 African Americans were hired in a workforce of 100 the perception is discrimination. 1.4 isn't a fair representation. Another of my favorites is that the top 10% of the wealthiest people in America are paying 45.6% of all the taxes collected yet the cry is for them to pay their fair share! What share would that be? But that is how we learn things, get a fresh view sometimes.
 The biggest issue I see is when people begin to feel like government should be emotional. No, the business of government should not be based on emotion, it's business. The government isn't a charity and has no business engaging in such. Well at least not without the consent of the entire electorate it shouldn't. That is where the problems begin. When our elected officials begin to dole out our money in exchange for continued support, we have a problem. Consider this latest round of loan forgiveness. No money is being forgiven; the debt is being transferred to everyone. 
 All that money has to be repaid! In 2021, the first year of Biden building back better, a staggering 2.6 trillion dollars was borrowed by the government to finance the budget. That all has to be repaid. We just gave away an additional 95 billion dollars in aid. Is that a financially responsible thing to do? No, it isn't but it is an emotional one. And your government is doing that while the college kids chant death to America, from the river to the sea and applying for loan forgiveness. Your representatives are waving foreign flags on the floor of the US House of Representatives! Business or an emotional response?   Present the facts on Facebook and you will quickly see what you get. An emotional response based on empathy, inclusiveness, acceptance and understanding. That's why we hear about three or more genders, kids identifying as cats, drag queens in the libraries, and gender affirming care. All emotional responses that ignore the facts altogether. The government can't just print more money every time it needs more. We the people have to borrow that money. Currently foreign entities hold about 7.4 trillion dollars of our debt. 26.6 trillion of our debt is owed by you! Yes, by you, we the people. Your tax money has to repay that loan. How much more do you think we should give away? How much are you willing to borrow to give to someone else? Remember you have to pay on that note, no one is forgiving your debt on any of that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment