Friday, November 17, 2023

What

   How many generations does it take for our memories to become curiosities? It is a question I asked myself as I looked at some of the artifacts I have sitting on my shelves. Yes, I call them artifacts, those things left by a previous generation from another time. I consider myself fortunate to have several of those type of things. They have become curiosities and I attempt to provide the explanation. I began to write an explanation for each item in a notebook thinking that would help in the preservation of those things. I think we do tend to hold onto things more readily when we understand the significance of that item. You know, one man's junk and treasure, that mindset. 
  That ties in with what I was writing about yesterday, the idea of persistence. Reminders are always a good thing. Well okay, not always depending upon what you are being reminded of I suppose. But I'm thinking about good things, little objects that remind us of the past without stirring up any emotions beyond being curious. The everyday things we all have that we take for granted. We all know the history of that object, who gave it to us or where it came from. We know the purpose. But one day they will become a curiosity. You see that all the time on Facebook with the, what is this thing postings. Some are immediately recognizable as to what their purpose was, and others leave you scratching your heads.
  Our memories are tied to the objects we keep. The monetary value of the object isn't of great importance, it is the sentiment attached to that object. I think that is why we tend to collect so much junk over the years. It is more difficult for some than for others, of that I am certain, to part with those sentiments. I've read about a trend called Swedish cleaning where you examine everything you own and discard all but the most important objects to you. In that way you relieve your descendants of the burden of going through your memories. You only leave those things you want remembered. It is supposed to be very "freeing" in a Zen sort of way. Sounds like more modern thinking to me. In the old days you didn't throw anything away! And no, that wasn't just from the depression era. You never know what you might need. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. 
  I've always found it a bit curious that we attach so much monetary value to things that have no practical value. I mean things like paintings and other objects of art. Why is a Picasso worth millions of dollars? Beyond the fact that you may personally love the painting, think it is great or inspiring, of what value is it? You can't eat it, you can't wear it, you can't do much other than look at it. Yet we place tremendous value on it. The same could be said about gold. Strangely we based our whole monetary system on that stuff. Then we abandoned that system altogether. Our money is no longer backed by gold, rather it is backed by the faith in our government to pay its' debts. There is no physical commodity tied to the value of a dollar. Still gold is currently valued at $1974.40 per ounce! I wonder why that is? Guess it is like having a Picasso. It is pretty much worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I guess you could say it is that way with everything. You can't put a price on a memory though. As an aside, I wonder why if gold isn't tied to the value of a dollar what is the purpose of Fort Knox? What difference does it make? 
  I've wandered off a bit as I often do. I like to think it's because I'm open minded. Thoughts just wander in and out whenever. I try to remind myself to focus. But then I'm reminded of the Karate Kid movie and my mind wanders off in that direction. I wonder though, how long it will take for my memories to become curiosities, if they ever do. Some of them may already be so. I expect some folks are already asking, what is he talking about? 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment