Wednesday, November 15, 2023

changes in attitude

  I wonder why we have taken to celebrating and admiring those that have recovered more than those that haven't needed to be recovered. Know what I mean? I hear it all the time. This person was this or that, an alcoholic or a drug abuser but has recovered. Then that person is being held up as an example of success, a role model. Well, what about those that have never screwed up? Those are the ones I was taught to emulate. That was the goal. It wasn't to recover from your mistakes, the objective was to not make the mistake in the first place! Recovery wasn't an accomplishment, something to be proud of, recovery was an admission of wrongdoing. Ideally, others never knew I needed to recover from anything. You could say it was the same mindset regarding my sexual preferences. If you didn't have a need to know, I wasn't telling. You were free to make your own assumptions. 
  It appears to me this mindset has crept its' way into the criminal justice system as well. Sure, you robbed a store, hijacked someone's car, shot others, and committed a multitude of other offenses but you shouldn't be held accountable for that. We should provide services instead! It we can help you recover; you will go on to be a model citizen. All we really need to do is point out the error of your ways and I'm certain remorse will do the rest. Some cities and states are now giving hiring preferences to ex-cons. Yes, that's a positive on the list, along with gender fluidity, race, and religious beliefs. We have to be sure to check all the blocks, for inclusivity you know. Well, we need that "experience" to be effective. 
  I understand that those that do the right thing, stay on the straight and narrow, aren't newsworthy. That sort of thing doesn't attract attention. I understand that. A part of human nature is looking at a car wreck, you just can't help it. Also, by holding up those that have recovered it improves our position. It does give us that superior feeling that we aren't supposed to acknowledge. That's why we celebrate those that have recovered, to show them just how great we really are. As for me, I already know about my shortcomings, and I hope you don't find out what they are. That's why I'm not telling or bragging about any recoveries I have made. Recovery should be a personal thing. 
  I guess I just want to make mistakes for myself. I really don't like to be preached at. That doesn't mean I don't like to preach, don't confuse the two. Whatever mistakes you have made in life are yours. I'm not on board with all this sharing. Seems to me the majority of the time this sharing is meant to make the one sharing feel better about themselves, rather than helping anyone else. That's how I see it anyway. I'll take an example from your success, not your failure. For that reason, I don't need to hear about your failures. I won't be celebrating that. And please, don't get me started on survivors! 

"To make no mistakes is not in the power of man; but from their errors and mistakes the wise and good learn wisdom for the future." ( Plutarch ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment