Sunday, November 12, 2023

Not too bad

  I was scrolling Facebook, although some accused me of trolling, when I saw a photograph of Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane from the old Superman television show. I mean the original show, with George Reeves as Superman. I have a vague memory of seeing that show but wouldn't call myself a fan. It's one of those memories that is more like a shadow. I seem to be having a lot more of those lately. But anyway, I was scrolling through and one of the comments was, Lois aged well. I realize that is supposed to be a compliment, an offhand compliment my mom would have called it. Lois has grown older what we would call matured today. Thing is, she's an old lady. She has aged well, meaning what? She doesn't look bad. That's the implication. Made me wonder if I have aged well. 
  We have to examine the standard to determine that I suppose. Just what is that standard? I have grey hair that is thinning on the top. Well okay, it is disappearing on the top. My smile isn't as white as it used to be, and my chest has moved south a bit like a lot of retired folks do. I have wrinkles, folds, and my skin has spots on it now. But I'm still walking without any assistance, know who and where I am most of the time and only take a few daily medications. Does all that mean I have aged well? If Facebook is to be believed I'm quite attractive to a number of others! I get friend requests almost daily. Some of them are in languages I don't even speak! 
  I asked this artificial intelligence we have today what is aging well. I was informed that aging well means having good physical and mental health, adapting to change and living your best life! It doesn't have anything to do with your appearance. I did smile as I read that, living your best life. It's something I hear a lot these days as the pharmaceutical companies hawk their products. You can live your best life if you use their products responsibly. Well, as prescribed anyway. Strange I've always felt aging well meant you didn't need to take any of those things. Of course, that was before I learned about my best life. I asked that AI about that as well. Turns out my best life is all about me. That's what I read from the experts on the subject. That's how you lead your best life, you focus on you! 
  I liked the answer that AI had about aging well. I feel like I have adapted well to changes, embracing new technology and all and enjoying reasonably good health. I feel like my mental health is just fine, I'm okay, others not so much, so I'm counting that as a win. But this notion that my best life is about focusing on me I'm not quite on board with. Sounds a bit selfish and self-centered to me. Compromise is the only way to really get along in this world. But leading your best life, according to AI and the experts, is about focusing on your goals. I think they are really saying in order to please others, you have to please yourself. I'm most pleased when others find me pleasing. But that isn't my goal in life. I reckon I don't have a goal when it comes right down to it. The experts say I should. 
  Is the goal to age well? Others seem to encourage that, applaud you for that. Lois aged well. She still looked good anyway, I mean, for her age and all. We have to make allowance for time don't we. Maybe Lois has been living her best life. I imagine being a star, having fame, recognition and money helps with all that. I wouldn't know though, I have none of that. But my children have grown up to be productive adults, good citizens, and good parents. The grandchildren are flourishing. I will have been married, to the same woman, for thirty-nine years in just a few days. I'm living my best life by focusing on others. I take pleasure in their happiness and accomplishments. You might say I've aged well. Others will tell you I'm just old though. Usually that is the ones I'm not focused on. Funny how that works isn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment