Thursday, November 9, 2023

learned behavior

  The penal system existed to penalize those that break the rules. That's the way it worked when I was a kid anyway. The objective was to learn the error of your ways and not repeat that error. If you repeated the error further punishment would follow increasing in severity. All the rules were to be followed not just the ones you felt where just or fair. If you did feel like an instruction, rule, or law was unjust you might work to have that modified or repealed entirely. Thing is, you were still subject to that law until such time as it was changed. Also, if you had committed an offense that was duly noted and recorded. That's how we could tell if you repeated the error even years later. History didn't change with the future; it just remained the same as it had been.
  Today I keep hearing about rehabilitation and providing services to those that commit crimes. The thinking is by rewarding the criminals they will not repeat their criminal behavior. It's the same thinking as making something legal to prevent further crime. If it isn't illegal, you can't break the law. Now I understand being incarcerated isn't exactly a pleasant experience or necessarily a safe environment to be in. It shouldn't be a pleasant experience! I agree that it shouldn't be a dangerous environment though. That's why I would keep the prisoners confined! If you can't get along in a controlled environment it's obvious you can't when it isn't controlled. The penal system should provide a penalty, not a reward! Nothing makes you appreciate freedom more than having it after having it been denied to you. That's the reason for a jail. It is the withholding of freedom for the commission of a crime. A penalty.
  When I was a child if I broke the rules, I was punished. I was subject to discipline. It may have been as simple as sitting in the corner. Today we have those saying how humiliating and degrading that was. Well, yeah, that's the point. I didn't want that to happen again and as a result I didn't repeat the behavior that got me in the corner. I wasn't given counseling, a shoulder to cry upon, and afforded opportunities for improving myself. I was sent to the corner to figure all that out for myself. I figured it out, don't break the rules. If I continued to break the rules other, more severe remedies where applied. Corporeal punishment was a possibility up until a certain age. It was certainly used until the fifth grade of that, I can personally vouch. And yes, I deserved that punishment. I asked for it. I was well aware of what could happen, I took the risk, and I got the reward! Didn't risk that again for a long time. I had been rehabilitated. I can't say I didn't have a relapse, but it wasn't the fault of the system. That was my choice.
  Yes, you could say it was fear and intimidation that were the tools of justice. I was a little afraid of the negative consequences when I made what I knew to be stupid choices. When I chose to break the law, I knew I was taking a risk. The possible consequences were spelled out plainly. Those in position of authority explained all of that and it was intimidating! In many cases, in fact the majority of the time, I decided against taking the risk. There were other times when outside influences swayed my judgement, made me think that perhaps it would be worth the risk. If everyone else is doing it, it must be alright. Turns out I was always wrong about that and was reminded of that each time. I suffered the consequences. 
  A lot of that has changed over the years. I think it began in earnest with Dr. Spock, the baby doctor. He was left-wing political activist before we even knew what a left-wing activist was. It was Dr. Spock that started in with this notion of having discussions with your children. Just ask your five-year-old to explain their feelings and learn to empathize with them. In that way you will raise brilliant, well-behaved children. Never spank them! No, we shouldn't use fear and intimidation to craft behavioral patterns. Just simply explain to the children why they should conform to societal norms. If they choose not to do that, then you encourage their aspirations for change. You don't punish them for the bad behavior, you reward them for their independent thoughts. Dr. Spock told Mothers that their children knew a lot more than they gave them credit for. Yes, let the children decide. Well, you can see where that has led us! 
  The only way we are going to reverse the amount of criminal activity in this country is by penalizing the children. That's where that behavior begins. It needs to begin with the parents, reenforced by the teachers and enforced by the authorities. The fact of the matter is citizenship is a learned behavior! When I was in school, we even got graded on that quality. We were expected to be good citizens and not expect accolades for that. It was simply an expectation and anything else was a shortcoming. There was no excuse for not being a good citizen. It didn't depend upon your race, creed, color, national origin, religious beliefs or financial status. None of those things provided you an excuse, a reason or an exemption. Unlike today, none of that was taken into consideration. Bottom line was always the same: you know better! Kids need to be taught that, today, more than ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment