Thursday, November 23, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving

 I'll start by saying I have a lot to be thankful for. It is something I try to remember every day. But life has a way of interjecting things into the picture that I'm not thankful for as well. Such is the nature of life. Today we celebrate Thanksgiving Day by eating a lot of food. Everything that can be said about the holiday has been said a thousand times. The history of the actual event written, rewritten and written once again. There just isn't much I can add to that. Pilgrims and pies are always what comes to mind. That's the picture that was formed in my mind when I was growing up in the 1950's. The image has certainly changed over the decades. The innocence of that time has been replaced by "social awareness" and "sensitivity." 
  Beyond all that I have to say it just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving this year. In fact, the holiday season isn't looking too exciting in general. I have no specific reason for feeling that way but it is the way I feel. It's feeling more like an obligation or a chore than a celebration. You're expected to be all it's "turkey day" and holiday shopping. I'm just not feeling any of that. It isn't because I'm missing anything. I have my family, most of us will be together, plenty of food and shelter. A lot to be thankful for, and I am thankful, just not feeling celebratory. Instead of Ho-Ho I'm feeling ho-hum. 
  Well, time to start with the holiday cooking. I will be helping to prepare the feast. I will enjoy doing that. The big parade will be television and I'll be checking in on that. After that it's over the river and through the woods to my sons' house. I'll be bringing a portion of the meal and we will all be together for a while. The grandkids will be there with their significant others, first thanksgiving with my grandsons' wife, as my granddaughter in law that is. I'm thankful she is a woman. Something you have to check on these days. But I'm trying to remain thankful, so I apologize for that remark, sometimes the truth just leaks out. So, whatever your situation is I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.   

No comments:

Post a Comment