Sunday, November 19, 2023

normal

  I've said it before, the hardest person to convince is yourself. I'm guessing that is what all this "mental health" awareness is all about. Seems to me it's a way to simply get others to assure you that you are alright. If I pay a professional and that professional says, you're just fine, I can believe that. Well of course that professional has to first prescribe some form of treatment. I mean its' like taking your car to the local dealership, they're not going to tell you everything is just fine, something needs done that much is certain. I think it is the same with any professional. I might convince you with a pill, that's for those that can't afford long term counseling (reassurance). But I think the real objective is simply to help you convince yourself. That's what all the self-help books are about. Do it yourself mental health care. What my generation called, getting over it.
  I admit it can be a struggle to get over it. I've had some problems with that myself. Could be that is why I consumed alcohol on certain occasions. It didn't make me an alcoholic, it made me not think too clearly, have a change in attitude you might say. The next day the leftovers from that also changed my attitude. But whatever the case was I was just feeling put out, or sorry for myself, it wasn't a treatable mental illness. Today however I'm thinking I may have been pushed toward seeking professional help rather than friends buying me another round. I use the term friends loosely here; they were usually others in the bar feeling the same way as I was. You could say they were just being empathic! We need more of that today. Best counseling I ever got was over a pool table and a long neck Budweiser. Or was that advice? Same thing, isn't it?
  There are two ways to convince yourself of anything. One is to simply follow the crowd. If everyone is doing it, it must be alright. In that way you can dismiss morality and ethics. It has to be alright if everyone is doing that. All of that changes over time and what was wrong is now right and vice-versa. I'm not being progressive if I don't acknowledge that. So, I can just set all that aside, go with the flow, and I'm alright. The other way to convince yourself is to simply believe you are correct. When you do that all you have to contend with is all the others telling you, you are wrong. You may be called names like arrogant, a know-it-all, or damn fool. You will be told to seek help! That's what you will hear from those that have decided to just go along with the crowd. It is a safer journey that way, no doubt about that. Gets even safer with "professional" guides. Pills, pity parties and professionals. 
  What disturbs me is this apparent push to convince us that we all need help. That's what I keep hearing from every corner. No matter what foolishness you believe, no matter what delusional thinking you may have, no matter what, your feelings need to be validated. If you are not feeling validated, you need help! That help will come from those that have convinced themselves that going along with the crowd is the best course of action. It is the path of least resistance. 
  And that is at the heart of all this, life is hard. I need help! Some people don't agree with my opinion. They don't accept my feelings as facts. If I feel this way, I must be right. Why isn't everyone else validating that, agreeing with me and empowering me? These are the things I have chosen and the whole world should accept that. My feelings, my wants and desires take precedence over everything else. You have to accept that! My life is so hard when you don't. I need help. And that is what we are teaching our children to believe. 
  That is exactly what they will believe if that is what they keep hearing. They need help! They need to be empowered by some outside force to assist them in being successful. They can't do that on their own! They can't get over it! It, whatever "it" is, it needs to be removed, silenced, or made illegal! You can't say or do that because it hurts my feelings! You can't insist I conform to any standard whatsoever! I have a right to do whatever I want. You have an obligation to support me! That's what is being taught. We are raising a generation of emotional Cripples! 
  Why? Because it is the easiest path to take that's why. In that way you don't have to say no. You don't have to "get over it" and act like a mature adult. You don't have to accept the consequences of your actions/choices. You can simply go with the flow, place the blame elsewhere. Not my fault. You can live with the assurance that someone will help you. They have to, it's the law! You can't operate independently; you can't do it on your own. you need help! The easiest way is just to get others to do it. And if you feel uncomfortable with that, seek help. Everyone is doing it. That's normal.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment