Wednesday, July 12, 2023

justice

  There is much discussion about juvenile justice here in Maryland. This is being driven by the number of serious crimes being committed by juveniles. Children as young as twelve have committed murders and the families of victims are demanding justice. But there are those saying they are just kids, they can't be held responsible for that. The question is, is age the sole measure of maturity? How can we decide upon that? It is certainly quite a different scenario when a would-be gang banger of twelve or thirteen goes out to kill another to earn their street cred and a twelve-year-old that causes the death of another accidently, even when that accident was due to simple negligence. So, the question is, what to do? 
 The reason this is happening can be discussed and debated endlessly. All the social implications and real-life realities factor into that. The importance of a stable home, having two parents, a father and mother can't be overlooked. But what can we do about that? Not much is my thinking. It's a cultural thing and culture is directed by forces beyond the control of government. Culture is created by beliefs and values. When those things change, so does the culture, for good or bad. It does become, what do you want to grow up to be, in a child's mind. 
 I wanted to be a hero like I saw on television and in the movies of my youth. Those heroes basically stood for truth, justice and the American way. At least that is how Superman expressed that. Now I never went around dressed in a costume or having surgical procedures or implants to look like Superman. I didn't demand others call me by that name, to address me in the way I thought they should. That wasn't the cultural norm back then. The difference between reality and fantasy was a very distinct line! I was well aware of that even at a very early age. I was well aware of the risk and reward dynamic. I learned that I was guilty until it was shown to be otherwise. Being a child wasn't a stand-alone excuse. I was told, you know better than that. Age didn't measure maturity. Your actions did that. 
 It was the awareness of punishment that was the deterrent. The truth of the matter was it was the threat of punishment that deterred you. There was never any doubt in my mind that I would be held accountable for my choices. I had zero expectations that my parents would defend any choice I made. I had every confidence that they would instruct me in the error of my ways! If I said and did anything I knew to be wrong, I would be held fully accountable. One example of that was the belief that there was a truant officer. This officer of the law patrolled the streets on school days looking for anyone skipping school. If you were spotted you would be apprehended, taken to the school and presented to the principle. If you didn't have a written excuse from a doctor, lawyer or Indian chief there was no excuse! The threat was real. If I said or did anything wrong or even remotely questionable my only hope was word did not reach my parents. And in those days information like that traveled faster than any internet virus today! The result would be the same. You were infected. Indeed, the effect was very unpleasant.
 But what do we do now? A child of twelve can't be locked up for life. But that child murdered another, in cold blood. There is no taking that back. How much do we dismiss as simply immature actions/choices? On one hand we have to say he/she is just a child, they were influenced by peer pressure, perhaps they were coerced into that choice, they can't be held accountable. On the other hand, we have those saying we have to listen to children saying they think they are the opposite sex. In response to that we should provide counsel, medications and surgical procedures to reenforce those feelings. No saying that it is an immature thing or that they have been influenced in any way. In fact, we should have drag queen shows to reenforce those thoughts. It's gender affirming care! Another cultural shift. Is it good or bad? That will be determined by society in general. 
 Is accountability dependent upon maturity? If that is the sole measure, how do we determine that? Oh, I'm aware there are charts, graphs, and papers written about the subject. The psychologists and psychiatrists all weigh in on that topic. Lately it was determined that our brains aren't fully formed until we are 25 years of age. Adolescence lasts until we are twenty-five. By that measure I shouldn't be held accountable as an adult until I'm twenty-six. Hey, I'm just a kid, not my fault. At the time of the American revolution James Monroe was 18, Alexander Hamilton 21, and James Madison was 25. All juveniles by the latest measure. Where they immature? Bunch of kids acting rashly? 
 I think we can all agree that the degree of punishment should be dependent upon maturity. Immature personality disorder is listed in the big book of mental disorders. Most of us hear about that as bipolar disorder. Lots of prescribing for that going on these days. It is also being used as a "defense" in criminal proceedings. It does add the sympathy factor in the jurors' minds. Like saying, he's just a kid. But can it really be quantified? Only by expert opinion is my answer. And the thing there is I can find an expert to agree or disagree with just about anything. 
 I have no answers, no suggestions, on what can be done. You can't change the past, undo what has been done. All you can do is start over. I do believe that it is imperative that we figure out something. Children are the future. That should be obvious to everyone. You can't change the future by changing the past. The past creates the future, something many seem to be confused about these days. What you do today will dictate tomorrow. My best advice is to start right now, this day, this very moment. Hold those children to account! Spare the rod and spoil the child has never been more appropriate than it is today. We have become lax, disregarding our responsibility as parents. It isn't the fault of the school, of economic inequities, social injustice, or opportunity. What we are seeing with the actions of these children is a reflection of the value system they were taught. We need to change the lesson plan! Start today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment