Sunday, April 9, 2023

traditionally


 Happy Easter everyone. I got my hollow chocolate rabbit, by Palmer, the cheap chocolate company, an Easter tradition. I remember getting one of those Peter Rabbits every year along with jellybeans and dyed eggs. Those are the staples of an easter basket. Over the years many other candies would join them but those three are the foundation. Well, they are the basics to me anyway, my traditions. They are the only ones that have remained practically unchanged over the years. I'm not sure what that says about me but it is the simple truth of the matter. Getting new church clothes for the Easter Sunday services has fallen to the wayside. Truth is, going to church in general has fallen by the wayside. I have a hundred reasons and excuses, rationalizations for not going but none are actually valid, just convenient. It's a trap most of us will fall into over the years, what we dreamed about when we were growing up. When I grow up, I'm not going to church, I'm going fishing. When I grow up, I'm going to do what I want! Seems I want a hollow chocolate rabbit, jellybeans and a dyed egg. Again, not sure what that says about me.
 Traditions are what we carry forward. We do so without really giving it much thought. But I think that is why structure is so important. Remember when you were a child and Mom would say get dressed for church? If you were like me, you'd complain about that. The excuses would start. It's too hot in the church for a coat and tie, and God doesn't care what I'm wearing were the top two. It was a matter of convenience. Comfort and convenience are what we all seek. When our traditions interfere with all that, they get left behind. We embrace only the traditions that please us. But traditions support the moral and ethical principles of a society. In our traditions is the opening phrase for the explanation of certain things. Things like a handshake. It is what we in America have traditionally done to express friendship, to show that you are friendly. That is slowly being replaced by what, a fist bump? Yes, and the reason is because of the transmission of disease. That's the reasoning behind that. Marriage is traditionally between one man and one woman, a tradition that is now being attacked as unjust, unfair, and offensive! Traditions create conformity and uniformity; both are necessary to a functioning society. Without tradition the past is forgotten or worse still, rewritten.
 The three major religions of the world are all celebrating their traditional holidays at this time. The Christians, Jews and the Muslims. Growing up a Christian I am well aware of what is being celebrated, the risen Christ. The Jews are celebrating Passover, their freedom from slavery. The Muslims are celebrating Ramadan, a month of fasting during the day, doing good deeds and reflection. At least that is what Google told me it was, I know little of the tradition. Each tradition is a keystone to the faith it represents. Traditions may also be carried in the heart. I don't believe there has to be a public showing of that for the tradition to continue. Tradition can be a private thing as well. Traditions are reminders as well as celebrations. Why the tradition exists or was formed in the first place is often discussed. The rationalization of tradition does change with the times. 
 Will little children in the future ever know the thrill of blowing out their birthday candles? If you shouldn't shake hands, blowing across a cake shouldn't be acceptable either. What tradition will replace that? Will all religious holidays and observances be omitted from the general public in the future? Removed from the calendars altogether? Convenience and comfort will eventually rule the day. Even now we speak of the "sacrifices" we make every day. Sacrifices like taking our children to their soccer games, attending the PTA meeting or cooking the family a hot meal, from scratch! Such sacrifices as denying yourself a piece of candy. Yes, we have a different view of what sacrifice is today. The traditional meaning is being lost to time. A new tradition being formed. Tradition is a source of comfort and why they are carried forward. When that tradition no longer satisfies, it is changed. Then we lament the changes. Well, I've still got my chocolate rabbit. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment