Saturday, April 15, 2023

finishing the story

  Sometimes I realize I'm trying to save memories only I remember. That is a simple truth but one I don't want to accept. This is true of all of us to a greater or lesser degree. In years past when families stayed together, often sharing the family home for generations, those memories were kept alive and passed from generation to generation. It was accomplished through firsthand accounts, family stories told. This is becoming less common today. In my case I have stories, pictures, and some old artifacts. Yes, they are artifacts. The person that created those artifacts have long since been gone, unknow to me. Some were unknown to my parents and grandparents. The artifacts remain, however. My wish is that these artifacts live on passed to the next generation for safekeeping. My memory of them will be lost one day, replaced by a new one. That memory may be simply, grandpa had this in his house. The how and why of it may not be known. 
 Artifacts are those things made by people. Usually with some historical or cultural interest. I'd question items mass produced as being a true artifact, things like a barbie doll or a Sony Walkman. I'm thinking more about the things made by hand that have survived over the decades or even centuries in some cases. I have crocheted and knitted objects made by my mother. Those are artifacts. I have a scale rug loom made by my great Uncle Fred for his sister, an artifact. Artifacts are tangible memories. We often produce an artifact without the realization of that, without the intent that it should become so. For me, those are the most important ones. Artifacts hold more value than relics. I wonder why that is. But we think of those in different ways. Relics are things just thought of as old. Perhaps that is where barbie dolls and Walkman's fit into the dialogue. They are relics of the past. 
 When I think of trying to save my memories, those things only I remember, it does seem like a waste of time. What enjoyment, what value or worth can they hold to others? I'm thinking nothing more than an amusing anecdote or bit of family history. An amusement. Am I preserving history? That seems a bit presumptuous of me. 
 History is recorded by the victors. My telling of history will be compared to whatever the current narrative being presented at the time. Consider what is happening with history today. The removal of statues of once revered figures in history being replaced. Some of our founding fathers and other prominent figures in history now described as racists and misogynists. Today you hear the Land of the Free was stolen from the native peoples, taken by deceit, by broken promises and the quest for wealth! Were once we were taught it was a yearning to be free, today it is just a selfish desire to control. My view of history, my telling of it is already at odds with younger generations. Ask me about what happened at Kent State and then read a current history book about that. The story is different. Ask me why we were involved in the Vietnam war, my response will be different than what most will say. 
 Was the generation of my parents the greatest generation? In the context of American history, I believe that argument could be supported. Raised during the great depression they rose to conquer the world. Following WW2 America did become the leading power in the world. We had demonstrated our power, our dominance on the world stage. We truly became the first superpower! Yes, that was accomplished by my parents' generation. 
 My generation have been called the boomers. What have our contributions been? I'd say mostly in the area of civil rights. We protested the war in Vietnam. We rejected the ideals of our parents, expanding our minds. And today we boomers are looked upon as relics of a time gone by. What great accomplishment will the boomer generation claim? The fall of the Berlin wall? The normalization of homosexuality and gay marriages? Making wars on a smaller scale? Did Archie Bunker free the world of racism and bigotry? History will record all of that. I will be included in that history and become a part of it whether deserved or not. Which side of history is being presented at the moment? Look to the heroes of the day to see that past. Even heroes don't last forever. Neither do memories. Still, I keep trying to save them for future generations to ponder. Some days I feel like Don Quixote must have felt. Other days I understand that sometimes it is better to just walk alone rather than with the crowd. Unlike Don Quixote however, I'm unwilling to surrender, to give up and concede my beliefs. That's not how my story will end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment