Sunday, April 23, 2023

I don't

  So, I saw this article in the New York Times asking whether a person should demand a prenuptial agreement. Now this being the New York Times the majority of the comments insisted that of course you should. I read down the comments, explanations and justifications for insisting upon a prenup. One explanation I found particularity interesting. That one explained that a prenuptial agreement was a business arrangement, whereas a marriage contract was not, that was simply an emotional contract. It went on to explain that you have to take care of business first, before anything else. Sure sounded like a caring, loving person to me. Remove all emotion from that contract! My reaction, my comment, was simply, plan for failure and that is what you will most likely get. That, of course, ignited a flurry of comments aimed at me. It's so easy to rile those Times people up. I know, it's a guilty amusement for me and I really shouldn't poke the animals in the zoo. I just can't help it. Perhaps I need counseling. LOL, no I don't, it's hilarious. 
 What I find so amusing is these folks reading the Times always seem to believe they are so smart, so progressive, so cutting edge and mature. The truth is most of them sound like children with their complaints. Their feelings are hurt and it's an injustice. These people believe inanimate objects are attacking them! They also believe criminals aren't at fault, it's the system. They can't help being criminals, they should be empowered not punished. Many also think there are more than two genders! Some even think gender is a fluid state, you just can't predict what you will be at any given time. Yes, they do. And marriage is fluid too. You can marry the same gender, a different gender, or someone without a gender altogether. You could marry all three at once! But whatever you do, get a prenuptial agreement because it's just business. 
 Yes, marriage is a commitment! What you need to understand however is that it should be a commitment with a clause. Don't confuse that with commitment for a cause, it's just business and you should have a clause in there to protect your interests! Promises mean little when you want to dissolve the partnership! Promises are just the things you say, not necessarily the things you do. You can always take them back! Not so with a prenuptial agreement. That document provides you with security, protecting your assets and interests. It's the only mature thing to do. 
 I did notice that not one person commenting mentioned the religious aspect of marriage. Everyone was in full support of that prenup without mention of the promise. Now we promise before God and "this company" to love the other person forever. That promise should be given with the full expectation that you will. If you have any doubts, any misgivings at all, don't give it. That is the only prenuptial agreement you should have. Why? Because a promise is a promise, that's why. You either believe the person or you don't. You buy life insurance knowing you will die one day, no clause in there for any exception. 
 If you don't die you don't get the money. Truth is, you will never get that money. When you get married you promise is it till the day one of you dies. It isn't a contractual agreement for a specified period of time. It's true that sometimes one or both parties wish to terminate the marriage before they die. If that is the case, you have to be willing to surrender your interest in that agreement. In business there are no guarantees of success. If your business fails, you don't get your money back. Works that way in marriage too! For me demanding a prenuptial agreement is like insisting on buying a life insurance policy. I'll get the money when you die! Only it means I'll get the money if I decide to break my promise to you or you break yours to me. It's just business. Well like I said, plan for failure and that is most likely what you will get. 
 Can you make a promise legally enforceable? You could say that is exactly what a legal contract is. It's nothing more than a promise made that is supported by the law. Attorneys instead of God. It doesn't matter what you said in that church, at that altar, before that company. What matters is what was written in the prenuptial agreement. That is what is enforceable and binding. Emotions don't matter, well unless your feelings get hurt and you feel marginalized, but that prenuptial sure does! That's the most important part of this contract we call marriage. You could say a marriage license is just an addendum to the prenup. Very romantic, very committed. I promise. Well, until I don't. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment