Saturday, April 29, 2023

comfort

  I realize I'm out of touch. I seldom listen to the radio anymore and there isn't much on television that interests me. I'm talking about new shows that is, there are plenty of documentaries and biographies to entertain me. So, what I'm saying is, I'm out of touch. 
 I was just wondering if they are any bands out there. I surely haven't heard about any making a big splash like the Beatles or the Stones. Are groups like that even a thing anymore? I have heard of a few solo artists but mostly for their actions, not their singing. They are controversial for some reason. Usually, it is something sexual, that always sells tickets. I occasionally hear about a tribute group but know nothing about the current scene. I'm not even hearing about those boy bands/groups or whatever they called themselves. Saw a few of them on an oldie show one day, guess they are all old now. And I'm talking about all genres of music. The last big country group I heard about was the Zac Brown band. That was fifteen years ago. Times sure flies. 
 I remember thinking my parents were stuck in the past, they were square. Now I'm the square one, not only square I'd say I was a cube. I know the music and artists I like to listen to, and that's who I listen to. I don't listen to the radio much anymore for no particular reason. I suppose it is simply because I can listen to whatever music I want wherever I am. I know about using Bluetooth. Yes, I'm up on that technology. I'm aware of Spotify, I use the free version and just tough it out with the advertisements. I can listen for thirty seconds to save a monthly fee. That and regular radio, even FM, doesn't always come in that great. It sure was an improvement over that AM radio I used to listen to as a kid. The radio in my car just doesn't work all that great, even with a signal booster installed. I was wondering about that the other day. I had heard on the news that the mars rover and how it receives and sends signals no problem. Why can't I hear a radio station less than forty miles away? My cell phone never seems to have an issue with that. Well, I suppose there is a scientific reason for all of that. 
 Am I stuck in the past? No, I'm not. It's a choice. I'm beginning to understand just why my parents and grandparents felt the way they did. It is far more important to be comfortable than to be on the edge. Yes, it is better to just relax, enjoy what you like and stop thinking that everything is going to get better. In general, that isn't happening. Hasn't happened with music that much I'm certain of. They don't write songs like they used to, and they don't have singers like they used to. Oh, they have performers alright, I won't deny that. But I miss the singers, not the performance. Yes, back in the day the person singing was the entertaining part of the show. 
 Dancing died when Disco hit the scene! Yes, that's my opinion on that. I haven't heard of any dance craze since that time and so can only assume Disco killed dance. And now it's all rainbows and unicorns! Things haven't gotten better. Merle Haggard died seven years ago. Seven years without Merle to write us a song. I have to ask, just as he did, "Are the good times really over for good?" In the closing verse of that song, he gives us this advice, "Stop rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell, Stand up for the flag and lets all ring the liberty bell" Yes, Merle was a prophet alright. It is what needs to be done. Perhaps the good times aren't over for good after all. Perhaps all we need to do is go back to what brought us here in the first place. Kind of get in touch with ourselves, and our past. The past wasn't all bad! At least we had good music and used to dance. 

                                                                             Life's lessons aren't always new. Often they're the same old worn-out truths offering us greater depths of wisdom and understanding. — Richelle E. Goodrich

No comments:

Post a Comment