Saturday, September 18, 2021

legislated humor

  For the past few years I have made this Halloween decoration for my grandson. I first saw it in Facebook, get lots of ideas that way and copy them. This one just happened to be a craft done with a pumpkin. You see, as I said a few years back this "tradition" began. My grandson was becoming socially aware as the saying goes these days, becoming sensitive to the nuances of life. Political correctness is another way of saying that. But to me it is just a touch of humor, no offense intended. Yes, it's a grandpa thing. A grandpa joke, slightly inappropriate but funny. Yeah and as the grandchildren grow so too the jokes. I mean he wouldn't react to pull my finger anymore. So, finding this humorous I made him a Jack-O-Lantern. Well, it is really a Jack-O-Rantern. This picture should explain that: 


     This may be the earliest version of that, I have made many improving them over the years. They are usually accompanied by some "racist" remarks, like "so sorrie for china virus" or ah so, stuff like that. One year I made about six of them. I used those real small decorative pumpkins and hid them all over his house, in the refrigerator, the microwave, his bedroom and bath. Pretty funny stuff!
 Mark is in college now and has his own apartment. He hopes to become a lawyer one day and is concerned with his social media accounts and all of that stuff. I understand and commend him for that. He does have enough foresight to know that things from your past can crop up later to be used against you. When I was his age I could do stupid things with little fear anyone would know about it later on. You know what I mean. Statements made when I was eighteen wouldn't be remembered, or at least no record of it would exist, ten years later! And so for that reason I will not ne making Mark a Harroreen Runkin this year, the year of the Ox. In this modern digital age the sins of the grandfather may be visited upon the grandson. I do find it amusing that he is so concerned with this stuff but also realize it is a serious business. You can accuse me of racism, I really don't care, but my professional career is over. I'm just Marks' grandfather, his version of "Archie Bunker" and I'm sure he doesn't even know who that is.  Well, he might but I'm sure it isn't for comedy. 
  I'm not sure how I feel about this though. It certainly amuses me as a "tradition" of sorts. I believe it amuses him as well. Still we have to move past these things sometimes, or at least set them aside for a while. When humor isn't funny anymore. I'm going to miss that. Maybe I'll just make a runkin' for myself. It's not as much fun but could still cause a bit of discomfort for him should I post a picture to social media. It is that that causes my hesitation. But jokes aren't much fun if you don't get to share them are they? So I'm thinking that the "runkins" may be relegated to memory. A story told to close friends and relatives after I am gone. My grandfather used to make these racist decorations, LOL. Yeah, and some of my "observations" have shocked him a bit along with some of my philosophy. He has reached the contradictory stage that all kids go through. After all he is in college, it's 2021, and he knows more than I do. That's what he is thinking anyway and I can remember when I had similar thoughts about my father and grandfather. Dang old people are just too far behind. Imagine, a harroreen runkin being thought of as funny. Why, it is just racist! 
 Now if you think about it it is no wonder. If you grew up in the 50's and 60's the cartoons were racist, the soap operas were racist, the most popular television shows, all racist. Of course we didn't know it but a theory was developed later on. That theory is being taught in colleges today. And I thought we were just makin' fun, you know, being friendly. I mean you knew better than to say certain things that may offend, but for the most part we were just kiddin' around. We called it having a sense of humor. Today that is called being insensitive, displaying microaggressions and discriminatory. Today we are supposed to act like we don't notice. Play it cool brother. Yeah, well I notice, I still poke fun and still get made fun of too. The only time that really hurts is when it is the truth. And I decide what is true or not. And that is the big difference today, today our truths are being legislated. You will believe this and respond accordingly. But this blog is just about having a little fun, nothing serious. I'll have to think of something else, something less offensive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment