Wednesday, March 3, 2021

seeing the truth

  In my scrolling this morning I saw an advertisement for x-ray glasses. The promise was you could see through anything. The "observer" was of course looking at a women. In the first frame she is fully dressed and in the second frame she is in her underwear. Hey, those glasses can't penetrate lacy drawers ya know. But I had to smile at that because it reminded me of those ads on the back of comic books. When I was growing up in the 1960's they were advertising those same glassed there. I never did order a pair, although it was a tempting offer. They were using girls in those ads too, guess some things never change. What appeals to the consumer hasn't changed all that much after all. I read a few comments left by others, a few explaining how they worked and a few explaining that they were a scam. I was thankful for the later as it settled a long standing debate I had about that. It was always my feeling that the didn't really work as my Doctor didn't have any in his office. I mean, I would have expected him to have a couple pair at least, they were only 1.99. 
 Now those sea monkeys that were advertised were a different matter altogether. Sea monkeys are a real thing. Yes, I did order my sea monkeys and they arrived just as promised. They came with several packets of miracle powders to revive the monkeys from their deep sleep. The stuff worked! Well at least for a short time it did. The sea monkeys were really just brine shrimp that are able to sustain being dried out for a period of time and revived. Pretty cool stuff. I have to say it wasn't as much fun as that gum that would turn your teeth black. Thing with that was trying to get your friends to take a piece, hardly anyone did. My sister was wise to that joke and the soap that did the same thing to your hands when you tried to wash. Yes, I had the "electric" hand buzzer as well, although I bought that at the 5&10 on main street. I remember having these tiny sponge animals. Super compressed, once rehydrated they expanded to six times their size! Cool, but only worked once, unless you happen to have a pressure chamber to recompress them with. Still, they sure had some cool stuff you could order from the comic books. That was the Amazon of my youth. Well, that and Sears and Roebuck, JC Penny, Spiegel and Montgomery Ward. The problem with all of them was filing out the forms and mailing in your order. Couldn't send cash, or so the fine print warned you, and a check or money order was a hard thing to get your hands on when you were ten. Mom wasn't going to let me buy those x-ray glasses, no need to even ask. I did get a baking powder submarine though, that was neat. It worked once that I remember. 
 Along with all the fun gadgets you could get there were lifts for your shoes and courses to make you look like Atlas, in a week! The muscle guys just went to the beach, kicked sand on the wimps and the women loved it. That's how it worked back then. Why the women fairly swooned at the sight of all those muscles. Survival of the fittest baby, boys need to just sit down and back off! Being sensitive was a liability back in those days, be a man! 
 I did get a chuckle with the x-ray glasses advertisement. I didn't click the link, that is to say, take the bait, but I assume it contained several pages of disclaimers. I'm certain there are those that would buy those things expecting them to work and hiring a law firm when they don't. Yes, that's the way it works today. In my day we just learned a lesson from all of that, don't be an idiot! If it sounds too good, it's too good. And if you were an idiot you tried to not let others know about that. In short, you kept that to yourself as much as possible. You certainly weren't going to admit to that in open court . Yes, I bought x-ray glasses expecting to be able to see through women's clothing, but they didn't work! You're an idiot, case dismissed. 
 I hope that this advertising on Facebook was just for laughs. I can't imagine anyone expecting people to actually purchase the item. This is the 21st century after all. I realize that younger people do use Facebook but my thinking is they are smart enough to know that x-ray glasses aren't a real thing. Well and if they are using a computer they sure don't need x-ray glasses to see anything they want to look at, and they know that. If there are "adults" out there that believe those glasses could work we are in more trouble that I realize. It does make me wonder. Someone had to pay to have that advertisement on Facebook, why would you do that? For a laugh or an expectation of a return? Well there are those that send thousands of dollars by wire to unknown individuals for waterfront property in Utah. There are people like that out there. X-ray glasses? Alright then. Will you see that third gender with them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment