Saturday, November 10, 2018

the easy way

We have had another tragic shooting. The question is being asked again, why. What can we do to stop this? Gun control? Is that the answer? No, I don't believe disarming the innocent will prevent the guilty from committing these acts. Guns have been available since the country was formed and as we are all well aware protected by the second amendment. Guns aren't the problem, people are the problem. The question is how did this come about, why this increase in horrific assaults on fellow citizens? I have my own theory about that. I believe at least a portion of that mentality comes from being taught that someone else is always responsible for what happens to you. I think that is easy enough to see. Just turn on the television and listen to some ads. There are teams of lawyers promising you the " compensation " you deserve, promising you justice! You have been wronged in life and someone else has to pay! Isn't that the message?
 That message is being sent to our children everyday in many different forms. Hate speech, prejudice, religious persecution, race, physical appearance, and what you " feel " are all part of this mentality of victimization. If something isn't going the way you had hoped, someone is to blame other than yourself. Now you have a regular smorgasbord of wrongs to choose from to justify your victimization. The bottom line is, it's not your fault. Even when you act contrary to accepted social norms and behaviors it is society that should change, not you. That is the message being taught in the name of liberalism. Just do your thing without consequence or accountability. If someone questions you about that, strike back! That's what we have lawyers for, that's why we have defense leagues! You have the absolute right to be happy and if you are not someone must pay for that. Not you though, it's not your fault.
 So now we have created this atmosphere where someone else is always responsible for your happiness. When something isn't right, strike out and demand justice. Hey, you deserve justice don't you? Of course you do! If I can't sue you or an entity in a court of law what is my other option? I strike out in a physical way. After all, I deserve justice. And it is this perverted sense of justice that precipitate these acts of violence. I'm no doctor but it is mental illness. What is causing this illness? I say a lack of accountability, responsibilty and the dissolution of a moral compass is the cause. The emphasis has shifted from punishment to reward. We deserve the reward, but never the punishment is the current thinking. That's the thinking behind what I call a more permissive faith. Forgiveness is automatic, the reward always forthcoming just for the asking. I should never be denied. That should be true in my professional, social and religious life. Any denial of that is a wrong against me. It's not my fault, I asked, you didn't listen. I will get your attention.
 If I get addicted to drugs, not my fault. If I become an alcoholic, not my fault. Nothing that happens to me is my fault. Things happen to me because of others hate, racism, prejudice, some phobia, or the color of my skin, the religion I profess or because I'm poor, I'm rich, I'm middle classed. I deserve justice! And someone has to pay even if it is total strangers. And that is why I am justified in grabbing a gun and killing as many people as possible. Well, that's my thinking as to why we are seeing this increase. It's a part of it anyway. I offer no solution as I don't think it can be " turned around " very quickly or easily. Just confiscating all the guns, an impossibility in the first place, will not solve the problem those folks have. We need to change the social conscience of the country entirely, and I harbor grave doubts about that being accomplished. Why? Because it is so much easier to just blame someone else than take personal responsibilty.      

No comments:

Post a Comment