Wednesday, November 14, 2018

a red flag

 It was quietly passed without much attention from the main stream media; until now. Now that it is law in Maryland, the media is touting its' great stride. It is called the " red flag " law. What is it? If a family member, roommate, relative, or health care professional reports you to the police they can confiscate your legally owned firearms. The report? It only needs to be a statement from you that the person feels threatened or uneasy about you owning a gun. It is then up to you prove you should get your guns back. That's correct, you are guilty as charged until you prove otherwise. I suspect that will come at an considerable expense and take some time.
 I understand the intent. Remove the gun from the hands of a dangerous or threatening individual. Sounds simple enough doesn't it? The problem is this, now anytime someone has a problem with you they can have your guns confiscated. Have a disagreement with your sibling? That sibling can just call the law and they can come take all your guns. They don't have to prove that you did or said anything, just state they feel threatened or that you may be a threat to others. That's it. As far as a health professional goes are you going to tell that professional you even own a gun knowing they can have it confiscated? I may be nuts, but I'm not crazy.
 This law can not be challenged until it is abused in some fashion. I believe that won't take very long. I can see this law being used as a tool to confiscate legal weapons. If I'm a vindictive husband or wife and my spouse owns or collects guns guess what, I feel threatened! Take those guns away from him or her! My reason, we are getting divorced and he or she is angry. Well that's grounds enough with the " red flag " law. The police can now break down your door and take your guns. You have to prove that you are not angry or a danger. What evidence do I present to prove that? Do I need clearance from a mental health professional? I need to prove my sanity? Or do I need to prove my non-intent to shoot someone?
 I guess I wasn't paying attention. The first I heard of this piece of legislation was after it was passed. Strange that the main stream media wasn't broadcasting all the details on this. You would almost think there was some inherent bias in that. Well I'll be watching and listening. I really don't think it will be long before this law faces a challenge. Its one of those things that sounds good on the surface  but is full of pitfalls. If I can say I'm afraid of you and have your legally owned firearms confiscated by the government what's next? I'm afraid of you and have you placed in a mental health institution for evaluation? You know that's not a far fetched idea, that actually took place quite often in the not too distant past right here in America. Read about it, State run hospitals for the mentally ill. Yes, the state, the government, could and did place you in a mental ward without any hearing beforehand. They just went on someone's say so. It was for the safety of others. That was the official line on it.
 I'm not saying this " red flag " law is the beginning of government confiscation of firearms. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I do see this law as dangerous to our freedom granted by the second amendment. It is an infringement of my right to keep and bear arms when those arms are taken prior to any investigation. I should be given the opportunity to defend my position beforehand. Just because you are angry with me, for whatever reason, is no reason to deny my constitutional rights. The intent of the law is a good one but in practice flawed deeply. I'll be watching and a repeal of this law will be forthcoming I'm certain of that. A " red flag " law, appropriately named I'd say, it has certainly raised a red flag with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment