Sunday, November 11, 2018

In the attempt

 I placed flags on the graves of three veterans that I know in the Greensboro cemetery. I'm aware of many more that lie there but selected three in particular. The first one is my daughter in laws father, Tom Albino. I knew Tom in his later years and he was a fine gentleman and a patriot. Another gentlemen I knew quite well was Robert Taylor, LtCmdr USN retired. Mr. Taylor served in WW2 in the Pacific and saw action there. The final selection was Lt Col Comegy. He is a veteran of the civil war. He passed in 1897, one hundred and twenty one years ago. Apparently no family still lives in the area and so I ensure he is recognized. No, I didn't know him. I do know that he died of a massive heart attack following a hair cut. A newspaper clipping describes that incident. " The Colonel left the barber shop on main street and was walking in the direction of his home when he was stricken. He collapsed in the street, and passed on the spot."
 The historical society places the flags on the graves. I didn't hear from them this year and so I am uncertain if that got accomplished this time. I will make a point of visiting the cemetery today. I feel an obligation to stop by and render a hand salute to those that lie there. It is the least I can do. I realize that today is about all veterans, not just those that died in defense of our country but the dead deserve their due as well. Today we commemorate the end of the war to end all wars. That's what the press was saying then. What a hopeful world it was then, and thankfully we remain so. " Hope springs eternal in the human breast, Man never is, but always to be blest. The soul, uneasy, and confined from home, rests and expatiates in a life to come. "  ( Alexander Pope )
 Much has been written about serving and the sacrifices made. The sentiments are warranted. I retired in 1993. That was twenty five years ago and it seems like a lifetime ago. I first wore the uniform in 1971 and that surely was a lifetime ago. I was just a kid then, although it didn't feel that way. It was a different time and a different world. There were no safe spaces, no restrictions on speech and the expression used. What would be called hazing today was an everyday occurrence. It was expected and the norm. Was it right? Ah, how can you judge what took place in 1971 with what takes place in 2018? The context of time changes everything. My time has come and gone and I'm thankful there are young men, and ladies ( kids really ) to carry the tradition of service forward. I do not concern myself so much with the motivation to do so, as give credit for the doing. That's the reason I say, Thank You for your service. One hundred years has passed since the official end of WW1. Yes, that took place 11-11-1918. How many lifetimes is that? In the context of time it is innumerable.
  Let us remember those lives today. The ones that lived, the ones that died, and the ones with us still. All made their contributions. Are all equal? I believe that those that serve with honor did make an equal contribution. It is as General Patton stated, the purpose is not to give your life for your country, the purpose is to make the enemy give their life for theirs. That is paraphrased from his actual words but the sentiment is the same. What he didn't say was you must be willing to risk your life in defense of your nation. Being willing and offering are different entities. For that reason I say the only sacrifice I offered was my time and my willingness to defend my nation. Dying for my country wasn't part of my thinking. I had no intention of sacrificing myself. It is estimated that between 1775 and 1991 forty one million, eight hundred ninety two, one hundred and twenty eight American patriots served in our wars. It is my thinking that not a single one of them thought of giving their life for their country. Their thought was defending that nation! Of course, they were willing to die in the attempt. And it is that we should commemorate and remember.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment