Friday, November 9, 2018

does it matter

 Are we obligated to make a change? That's a question I find myself asking this morning. What I mean is, can we just go along minding our own business, unconcerned with the world around us? It seems to me that quite a number of folks do just that. Is that alright? I feel like I am obligated to do something, be a contributing member of society, or something like that. Where does that obligation come from? That's what I am questioning. That the obligation exists, if only to myself, is not in question, but what is the nature of that obligation?
 At the root of it would be self interest. That's a sobering thought but I believe a valid one. The only things I try to change are those things that run contrary to my own self interest. That interest isn't necessarily property, money or social position, although they are certainly factors to be considered, but my personal moral and ethical values. What makes me feel comfortable to put it succinctly. I could retreat into my own world, just ignore, block out, or condemn others but find that an impossibility for me. In that I see a contrast. I was never a leader, that's not my personality. The alpha male, no, not me. I've always had to rely more on guile and wit than brawn. Yet I have never been content with just being a follower.
 Does this obligation exist solely because that is what I was told? Aren't we all told that? We should make a difference! Each of us should excel, stand out, and contribute. Have I taken this too seriously? But then isn't that also what we are told? Believe in yourself, no matter what others say, believe in yourself. The problem with that philosophy is, not believing in others. So, if I just keep believing in myself what's the point? Is the object to impose my beliefs and thinking upon others? Is it to get others to adopt my ideas. Is that the same thing? I think maybe it has to do with the offering of a gift. We want people to accept our gift. I can't think of a scenario where I would purchase a gift for someone with the thought they wouldn't like it. Isn't that the same thing as offering our opinion, viewpoint or perspective? We expect others to accept it. The frustration, and sometimes anger, stems from lack of that acceptance. Without that acceptance, nothing has been changed.
 One should offer a gift freely and unencumbered with any expectation of return. That is the true nature of a gift. The reality is the majority of us do expect something in return. It may be as simple as a pleasant thank you and a smile. The majority of us do expect an acknowledgement of that gift, and not in a negative way. Are we obligated to change anything? No, but we are obligated to try. Now I need to learn to not expect results, that's the hard part. That's the believing in yourself part. Because it really shouldn't matter; right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment