Friday, July 20, 2012

On Birthdays

Fifty nine years ago today I entered this world. I don't remember it, but I was there. Just a baby born to Three Mile Harbor. I have two brothers and a sister. Mom and Dad. The typical American family of the fifties. No daycare just Moms' care. Discipline was maintained by threats of violence and the withholding of privileges. And we were taught that you got what you earned and anything else was a gift. Mine was a wonderful childhood with no regrets. Family and town. My town I have been known to describe by saying, " it is just a little south of heaven." When I turned eighteen I left that place to join the Navy and see the rest of the world. Well, been there and done that. Twenty years worth and wound up in Greensboro. Nice little town much like that home I was born into. Now I've been here longer than my original hometown and longer than my Navy days. Amazing how much you can do in fifty nine years. Amazing too, how much I didn't do.
And so today I celebrate another birthday. Another year of existence. When we were children we would celebrate by receiving presents. Cards and parties. A big cake with candles marking the passage of time. Now I celebrate my birthday with a different outlook. I celebrate the fact that I have gotten to spend another year surrounded by those that love me. Not taking the next year for granted anymore. The drama and turmoil of life is not worth the effort and the older you get the more you realize that. Birthdays should be for looking back. That is where the real gifts are stored. That is not to say one shouldn't look forward as well, there is much promise in the future. I'm just saying it has taken me fifty nine years to get to this point and I'm not turning back now ! LOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment