Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Closing the Chapter

I was motivated to act upon a thought I've had for some time. A fellow blogger is responsible. Thank you Kathleen. She had become the recipient of a unexpected kindness. A kindness from a total stranger and one that required a bit of effort to complete. It was her telling of this kindness that moved me.
You see, back in 1990 following the passing of my father, some of his belongings came into my possession. He had served in the war (ww2) and I have his medals and a few other mementos he brought home from that conflict. There among these articles is small folded booklet. This booklet is covered with Japanese writings and some figures. I was told it was a Japanese soldiers pay record. How or why my father came into possession of it is lost to time. That it was recovered from a fallen soldier is a good guess. Young men in war tend to do such things. Acts of bravado and the removal of articles from the deceased enemy. A means of maintaining your sanity in an insane situation. This scrap of paper holds no meaning for me. It had been in my mind to attempt to return it to a family member. I wasn't sure how I could do this. After all, I don't read or write Japanese and know no one that does. The thought has languished all this time. Now, I've been moved to action.
Using the resources of the internet I found a E-mail address for the Japanese American society. I had previously scanned this document and so included that with the mail. Literally within hours I received a response. I was provided with the address of the Consulate General of Japan. Instructions were included. I can mail this artifact to them. It will then be sent,by diplomatic pouch, to Tokyo. There they have an office that will work to locate any surviving family members. If successful,the artifact will be returned to them.
I will receive notification as to the results. I have been warned that this could take a considerable amount of time. Maybe as long as a year. I have already been told that this artifact was apparently the possession of a Mr. Fukuoka. That's an encouraging start.
It is my hope that his family may come to have this. It is my hope that they find some comfort in its' possession. Having an active interest in the past and my own family tree I can imagine what I would feel. What is nothing more than an insignificant old booklet to me may prove to be a treasured heirloom to another. The personal nature of it could have an impact. I know I would feel that way holding something that I know, without a doubt, that my father or grandfather carried with him into war. A war that perhaps he never returned from.
I know nothing about the details. My father was a flight engineer on B-24 bombers. He was not actively engaged in ground based combat. He was stationed at one time in China-Burma theater of operations. Perhaps this record came from a prisoner of war. Perhaps this man lives still. It's possible but unlikely.
I'm hoping for some answers but will be content with it's return. I think Dad would have returned it,too.
To close a chapter in the book. It wasn't a chapter Dad talked much about. It left an indelible impression on him. Even as a child I could tell that on the few occasions he did say anything. In his day you didn't talk about such things. You kept those thoughts and nightmares to yourself. This booklet has lain silent for nearly seventy years. It has a tale to tell. I can only hope the recipient is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment