Saturday, July 28, 2012

An Old Soul

We  have all heard someone say, " he was a good old soul " or something similar. It's just an expression. Maybe; it is not. We are all familiar with the concept of going to heaven. We know it is not our physical body that makes that journey. Indeed, it is our soul. It is our very soul that must pass the test. The question that comes to my mind is, is each one one of us given a " new " soul or do we inherit one that was less than perfect ? One that failed the test ? And then it becomes incumbent upon us to remove the imperfections ? A sort of cosmic do-over ? That could explain deja vu.
I don't believe my God would give me anything that was less than perfect. And isn't the premise that the new born is without sin ? Certainly that must be the case. So the soul I " inherit " is perfect in it's gift from God, just being recycled. God going green so to speak. I do not begin with any sort of handicap. I do think one can become aware of the soul's past. Call it what you will. Many cultures have tried to describe it. Many theories and explanations. I make no attempt to explain or justify, just to present my own thoughts on the subject.
I have come to believe mine is an old soul. A soul that has been reused many times. A soul that has failed to pass the final exam. All those failures have taken place in the past. I had nothing to do with all that. It has given me an awareness, however. It is my responsibility to attempt to complete the journey. I've been given a shot. And isn't that the beauty of our God ? Giving us the chance. And then leaving the choice to us ? Oh, he provides all the help and guidance you can ask for, but doesn't force it. We are free to ignore his presence altogether. And the penalty ? That is much more difficult to understand.
The ultimate reward is obvious. To exist in his presence. To stand before your God in righteousness. To have pleased him. To have the soul remain eternal in its' final journey. Resting forever in heaven on the right hand side of the lord. The ultimate comfort.
Now as to the penalty phase. Do you really go to hell ? I don't think so. I think your soul is just recycled and you are forgotten. As if you never existed. And the truth is, you never did. For nothing can exist in the eyes of the lord that is less than perfect. You got your shot. Should you fail to take advantage of it, it is your choice. The penalty is that choice. God does not punish you, you punish yourself. The final accountability. I'm sure hoping the balance sheet is correct on the day of judgement. I have determined I need to add a few more pluses. Don't we all ? This old soul is getting weary. It is up to me to give it a rest. I'm going to try. 

1 comment:

  1. I could expound upon this topic with some answers from the Bible to the questions you've asked. If want them...you can ask me & I'll give you the references that clarified things for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete