Sunday, July 29, 2012

Flashback

I was looking at an old photograph today. It one taken about 1955 or so. My sister gave it to me as a gift and it hangs in my hallway. Taken at Christmas it is my two brothers, my sister and myself standing all in a line. We are arranged in height order and all wearing those pajamas with the feet in and a " trapdoor ". I have probably looked at that picture a thousand times or more. It always was a perennial favorite. But for some reason I took a closer look today. I noticed the carpet on the floor. Instantly I could feel it beneath my feet,feel it's texture. That carpet was so familiar to me. I must have crawled around it for hours as a child. I could smell it and taste it. In my minds' eye I could see the threads used to weave it. What a strange sensation. An old carpet.
Isn't it amazing how a picture has that power ? Or rather that the mind has that power. Years ago I read that book Dianetics (sp) by L.Ron Hubbard. His contention was that you remembered everything from conception to your death. He thought with training you could tap into that. I didn't buy that then and don't buy that now. I admit it was an interesting read but nothing more than an amusement to me. He is the founder of Scientology. You can infer what you like about my feelings for that religion.
At any rate I found that experience to be both puzzling and pleasant. It is not the first time it has happened. Sometimes just holding an object can have the same effect. Must be embedded in your memory bank somewhere. Does it hold significance ? I don't think so. It just is. Ever had the same thing happen to you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment