Monday, July 23, 2012

A little selfish

I woke up this morning thinking about my grandson. We all miss him while he is away attending the conference. Opening my Facebook page I checked the notifications. My daughter in law left a comment, this made me think of you. So naturally, I clicked it open. It was one of those little sayings in a box. You know the ones, and it said," Grandchildren are a Grandparents link to the future, Grandparents are the child's link to the past. " No author listed. I must say that statement is absolutely correct. It is one I definitely will remember.
I am always talking about the past. I'm always showing the Grandkids pictures of their ancestors. I do talk about having the kids remember me. All those things are tied up in that simple little statement. Ah, the beauty in brevity. I unfortunately do not have that gift. I tend to be a bit long winded. If you talk long enough someone is bound to listen ! I do come from a culture of talkers. My family is not known for being quiet on any subject.
My wife and I are indeed blessed to have such a close relationship with the grandkids. In the world today that relationship is getting to be less prevalent. Many times your children move away from the old hometown. Time and distance separate. Daycare taking the place of Grandma. Connections and links becoming weaker.   It is a different relationship between Grandparents and Grandchildren than between Parents and children. It is a relationship I have given much thought too. I sometimes marvel at where I got the patience with the Grandkids that I didn't have with my own. Have I matured, or did they just wear me down ? Difficult to say. I find myself a bit more protective with the grandkids. I also find myself a bit more forgiving of their shortfalls. Not that they have any you understand ? LOL But if they did. And so I take seriously my obligation to inform them of the past. To give them the insight and lessons I have learned in my life. To pass the torch of learning. Hopefully it will make their own journey a little easier. And isn't that what all parents and grandparents want for their children ? I do believe in the old saying you have to know where you have been, to know where you are going.
And just yesterday I was writing about reasons. And to wake up and have this message appear on my screen. Serendipity ! That is the underlying reason for all my stories and pictures. The Grandchildren are my link to the future. Selfish,yes, but an honest emotion. I do hope they benefit from it all however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment