Sunday, March 24, 2024

Oh snap

  A politician named David Trone made a bit of a Freudian slip the other day. When it was brought to his attention, he immediately issued aa apology, acknowledged his white privilege and explained that he had intended using the word "bugaboo" in his response. He was responding to a black female republican about the vote on an upcoming bill. Although he was called out on that, it has already been dismissed as, oops, that's what I said but it isn't what I meant. Now I firmly believe the term he did use is implanted in his mind and just popped out. I get it, it happens to all of us especially in heated moments. He is running a campaign and presenting this tough appearance of the working man, working for the people. He popped the clutch on that one! 
 I'm not saying he should be disqualified from the election or anything else. I do think it should open some people's eyes about his true nature. All is not as it seems with David Trone, the only candidate that doesn't take any special interest monies or money from Pacs. That may be the case, but he sure does patronize specific demographics in his policies and statements. What he did with that statement was remind me of what LBJ is purported to have said after signing the civil rights act of 64. That was in an age when things weren't as easily documented, and we may never know the truth in it. It is true the democratic party tends to patronize certain demographics with grandiose promises or rewards. 
 I'm only writing about that because it amused me. I wasn't outraged, offended or moved to action. No, I was just laughing about that and a phrase the younger people might use came to mind, oh snap! I watched as he spoke, uttered that racially divisive term, and just kept on talking, totally unaware of what he had said. Yes, it amused me because I have done similar in the heat of the moment or becoming overly excited. I've seen others do it and all I could do was cringe. Then I've watched as the others attempt to explain or apologize. I've felt that embarrassment myself! It happens sometimes when you get feeling just a little too comfortable. That is what happened to him, in my opinion. 
 I'm certain his opponents will use that slip to their full advantage. It will be a tricky thing however, like walking on eggshells. You have to be especially careful not to offend, while being so offended yourself. Innuendo works best in that situation and I'm quite sure I will be hearing that from some. Now he claims his intention was to use the word "bugaboo" and perhaps that is the case. It isn't a very common word you hear today, although I have heard it before. Perhaps his speech writers were just trying to make him sound more "down home" and connected to the common people. Turns out he very well may be more connected than they would like others to know. Opps. What word did he use? Well, it is something I heard in my youth, back in the day. I won't write it out, repeat it, but suffice to say it isn't very nice. Fightin' words I'd say. The word begins with J and end with that boo. Yeah, he said that in responding to a fellow lawmaker that just happened to be a republican, a female and black. Oh snap! 

No comments:

Post a Comment