Monday, March 18, 2024

my feeling

  Yesterday I posted about not wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle. I was touched by the response of those concerned for my safety and health. I heard the warnings. Yes, it's a risky business and precautions should be taken. Things is, I wouldn't be seen wearing a bicycle helmet any more than be seen wearing a pair of crocs! There are some things I just won't do. I wear a seatbelt in the car because the law says I have to. That is my sole reason for doing so. My body, my choice. That's how I feel about that. I will not be hurting anyone else by not wearing that device, but that slogan doesn't seem to apply in this scenario. I have to question why? Your choice certainly hurts others, in fact, it is fatal, every time! But I won't get started on that this morning.
 I do think we are all becoming a bit paranoid about dying. All the safety precautions, warnings, labels and litigation. The objective appears to be to live as long as possible. In my way of thinking I will live just as long as I am supposed to. Yes, I do believe our days are numbered at birth. That being said I also believe I can change the number, shorten it, should I make a direct attempt to do so. I also believe that should be my choice as well, but that is called crazy. Not when you choose to end someone else's life though, that's a choice. But I wasn't going to talk about that. If I decide to make that choice I'm urged to call the hotline, seek help immediately and others will intervene to prevent that. Shame the same action isn't taken in that other scenario. But, I'm not talking about that.
 I do come a different time, the proverbial old school. At this point in my point life especially, I have no one to impress. I think it just looks silly for an adult riding their cruiser bicycles with a helmet, mirrors sticking out on the side, possibly wearing those racing suits, pedaling two miles an hour. That's what I'm talking about. It's about dignity. Yes, I have that attitude. I will die as a man! I will not wear a bicycle helmets or crocs! And that has nothing to do with common sense, logic or safety. I don't think masculinity is toxic, although I hear that from some, I think it is like everything else, good when applied properly, not so good when abused. It's the way I feel. You have to validate my feelings you know, that's what I'm being told all the time. I can't tell you your feelings are wrong! That means you can't tell me that either. You should be empowering me! LOL  
 I never said other people shouldn't wear a helmet, I said I thought it just looked silly. It does to me. I'm not talking about banning bicycle helmets, I'm talking about choice. Do I have to justify my choice? I don't think I do. Truth is, I don't think I could even if I tried. It does make sense if you are worried about falling off the bicycle and hitting your head. I'm not worried. And if I get hit by a car or something I'm still not worried about that, I expect I would have a host of other problems. If I were worried about any of that, I simply wouldn't ride a bicycle. That makes more sense to me. Know what else just looks silly? Man buns. Yeah, that's just silly looking. Nothing manly about that. At least that is my feeling.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment