Tuesday, February 6, 2024

you can

  The morning news had another big story about quitting smoking. The focus this time was on menthol cigarettes and how they targeted a specific demographic. I guess they are tying it in with black history month. That sounds like a bit of stereotyping to me, but statistics were presented to substantiate that claim. The claim was also being made that the addition of menthol made their products more addictive. The underlying theme implied this was deliberate. Deliberate and targeted! Just another example of abuse, oppression, and racism. But there is hope. The message is you can't do that on your own. You need help. There are currently seven different medications that can be prescribed to help. The newest campaign by the CDC empathizes getting a support group to help. 
 It wasn't in this story, but vaping has been proposed as an alternative to smoking tobacco products. Yes, you are still inhaling nicotine, but it is merely suspended in water vapor. That, it is being said is far better. I'm no scientist but I can tell you one thing for certain, outside of prescribed inhalation medicines and therapies, anything you suck into your lings that isn't oxygen, isn't a good thing. It was mentioned that flavors weren't good though, flavors encourage children to vape. I haven't heard what the CDC has to say about smoking pot as we are busy legalizing that. And yes, people are smoking it even though you can get it in edible form. I've heard that there is a push to ban ZYN pouches because of the harmful effects of that product. Zyn pouches are for those cowboys that dislike putting raw tobacco in their mouths and you don't have to spit as much. They are for a more civilized cowboy. 
 But whatever your choice is, the issue is becoming addicted to those products. Well, at least forming a habit. And that is where things get a bit tricky. The difference between habit forming and addiction isn't very clear. In the past it was always considered a physical thing, addiction I mean. You were addicted when not having the product created a medical problem for you, not simply a mental one. Alcoholics could get the DT's and addicts get withdrawal symptoms, including the most obvious symptom, dying. That is often mentioned in those ads for the drugs on television these days. You could experience this or that, and rarely but sometimes death. If that is the case quit using that product and seek medical advice.
 It isn't something I talk about often, but I quit smoking. I did so without any support groups, medications, therapy or substitutes. I just looked at the price, said that is enough of that, and quit buying them. After a while I didn't think about them anymore. I simply broke the habit. And that is all it was to me, a habit. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms beyond thinking, I wouldn't mind having a smoke right now. But then I just dismissed that idea and moved on. I did it and it is my firm belief that anyone can do that if that is what they want to do. I also believe as long as we keep telling everyone that they can't, they won't! Having an invisible " vulnerability" can certainly prove a useful tool. I see a lot of that these days. That's why we are seeing the increase of "emotional" support animals, counseling sessions, PTSD, Bi-Polar and all manner of diagnosis. You can't do it on your own, you can't even live without help! Life is so difficult. 
 Yes, I know, I lack empathy. So many are struggling, doing their best to get by. Well, I'm a firm believer in God helps those who help themselves. I have never been one to look for excuses. I have never been one to be told I can't do something. I believe I can do anything I put my mind to. That's not to say I will be able to do very well, but I can do it and I don't need any help. I can screw it up all on my own thank you very much. I can also quit doing anything I choose to quit doing. All that is needed is the desire to quit. And that's how I feel about that. My thinking is that is what we need to teach. For me, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy to do otherwise. Tell people they can't do it and they won't. Give people a crutch and soon they want a wheelchair! I know it isn't popular, I know the "science" says otherwise, I know it isn't a sign of weakness to seek help, it's empowering to be dependent! I say, no to all of that. I can do it, you can too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment