Monday, February 19, 2024

a strange feeling

 Through the miracle of modern technology, I was watching a bit of video streaming live from the church of my youth. It's really something if you stop and think about it. First off, I can say I was watching a live stream, and you know exactly what I mean. Doesn't seem that long ago that would have left you scratching your head, he's looking at a stream? But I'm actually watching a church service being conducted two hundred and eight nine miles away from where I am sitting, in real time. Really something. The video is so clear I can hear and see the people as though I were there. The background is equally as clear. It was the background that captured my attention.
 As I watched I was explaining to my wife that is the church where I was baptized. I looked and noticed the baptismal font had been relocated in the church. It was at the rear, off to the left-hand side but now was nearer the front and on the right-hand side. Today if you mention font most would think of the type of lettering you picked to use on the computer. I'm using the default font, whatever style that is. I often choose Times, New Roman when I have to pick one. But I'm wandering a bit. As the processional took place, I told my wife how I would have been the one carrying the cross at the head of that procession. Lots of memories concerning all of that. How I started out in the jr. choir and eventually moving on up to become the cross bearer and assist the reverend during holy communion services. That procession hadn't changed much as I remember it just containing more priests. I saw three. 
 That was the church where I took my first communion. It was the church where my sister was baptized, took her first communion and got married. She was in the choir with me and both of my brothers. Years of memories filled my thoughts. The church building has undergone renovation that much was obvious to me. The old church sure looked spiffy. The woodwork all polished and shiny, the walls bright. That long red carpet still going up the center aisle. There were some changes in the area of the altar, the position of the railing changed somewhat. I spotted what appeared to be organ pipes above the entry door that weren't there before, at least I don't remember them being there. All the pipes for the organ were located in a little room behind where the choir sat. I imagine that would still be the case.
 I haven't been to a service in that church in over fifty years. The last time I remember going I was home on leave from the navy. I went, in my uniform and was greeted by Reverend Davis. It was Reverend Davis that had baptized me, that had guided me through my time in that church congregation, and on to becoming an acolyte. He asked if I would like to lead the procession once again and I readily agreed. At this time, he had an assistant, if that is what you call him, a young priest just starting out. Reverend Davis introduced him to me. He greeted me and said, I'll see if I can get you some robes to wear. Reverend Davis looked at him sternly and spoke. I think he has uniform enough, don't you? Nothing more was said, and the services were conducted. 
 I watched the services as they were live streamed for a short while. Much has changed over time. I had heard of the passing of Reverend Davis years ago. I have watched on other occasions for brief periods of time as the service was conducted. It all seems so different now from the time I was attending that church. The services seem more Catholic to me rather than Episcopalian. Not that I'm that familiar with the Catholic method of worship but I've heard stories and have been to a catholic service in years past. I had been told the only difference between us Episcopalians and the Catholics was the praying to the  saints. We had the same saints, but didn't ask them for anything, we just went straight to the man.
 Yes, the service was different. While I was in that church awards were given for perfect attendance in church school, choir and being an acolyte. I had received every one of those awards. Another cycle had been completed and as an award I received a signed prayer book from Reverend Davis. For sixty months of perfect attendance! Some years back I discovered that edition of the Book of Common Prayer had been retired, revised and replaced. I remember thinking I've got so old they replaced the prayer book. Lots of things have changed over the years with the church and what is taught there. It is a comfort to see that old building still there, services still being held and traditions continuing. The service was no longer familiar. I watched from the distance, staring into the past, my past, but that past is different. Quite the strange feeling actually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment