Thursday, February 22, 2024

old and new

  Had a bit of a back and forth yesterday concerning the Bible. Now we all know there are two testaments combined into one book containing 66 chapters. The Old Testament and the New Testament. There was some discussion about what portions of the bible are to be believed and what parts are not. Really the discussion centers around whether the New Testament replaced the old. I'm in the camp that says it definitely does not. It is interesting to note that the first five books of the Bible are called the Torah, the book of Moses. I don't recall being taught that in Sunday school but learned it later on. The Old Testament was written long before Jesus. The New Testament tells the story of Jesus and when God will return to the earth. 
 The discussion centered around a specific idea that the New Testament replaced the old in regard to certain actions. Human sexuality was at the forefront of that discussion. The Old Testament speaks a great deal about all of that and is fairly specific as to what you should and shouldn't be doing. The issue being discussed was reconciling the New Testament with that Old Testament. The New Testament doesn't address that directly. Proponents of the New Testament replacing the Old cite that Jesus never said anything about that. I agree that there aren't any passages directly related to that and attributed to Jesus. Thing with that is just because he doesn't say you shouldn't that doesn't mean you should. I defer to the Old Testament in that and if you are a believer that testament is the word of God. That word wasn't changed by Jesus who wouldn't oppose or overwrite his father. For that reason alone, I feel the argument that the New Testament doesn't say I shouldn't is invalid. 
  This discussion began with a meme, as is often the case on Facebook. This meme was suggesting that if you don't practice every "Christian" principle such as charity, forgiveness, turning the other cheek, feeding the poor, clothing everyone and embracing their sexual preferences, you don't really believe in the Bible. The exclamation being, you are not following Jesus! I pointed out that unless you are barefoot and broke wandering around the countryside you aren't following Jesus. You really don't get to pick and choose what is "Jesus" like and what isn't. You do have to follow the whole book, all 66 chapters and both volumes. It's my feeling it is the belief that is important more so than the manner in which you practice that belief. Jesus did say, "he who believes in me does not believe only in me, but in the one who sent me." So, that means I should believe in whatever the one who sent him said. A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
  Hate the sin and love the sinner. It's an adage we have all heard. What does it mean? Well, that is where things can get cloudy. The tricky part is in defining just what loving someone is. I'm not quite up to the task of giving a definitive answer to that. I know what it isn't. It isn't allowing others to do wrong without telling them they are doing wrong. And that counts no matter how many times they repeat the action that is wrong. Repetition of the wrong doesn't make it right! If you love someone, you have an obligation to them. That obligation is to give them the best advice, counseling, consolation, and support that you can. There are times when that requires a firm hand, rebuttal or just saying no. It's the reason we are called the children of God because we are as children! At least most of us will act that way given the opportunity. Everyone is doing it.  
  Spare the rod and spoil the child. Old Testament proverbs. What does it mean? To spare, is to use sparingly, with caution and forethought, not with reckless abandon. The rod. In biblical times the rod was a symbol of authority. It was a tool as well. It was used to guide, protect and defend. So, sparing the rod was in actuality constraining your authority, a caution to exercise sound judgement and administer punishment fairly. If one does not do that the child (person) is spoiled. It speaks of discipline. Discipline in and of itself is not punishment! In fact, discipline guides correct behavior. 
 I also believe there is no right way or wrong way to practice your faith. There is simply right and wrong. If the practice of my faith requires injuring others, that's wrong. I'm not talking about hurting your feelings though, I'm talking about physical harm. If I couldn't say anything that might upset you, cause you discomfort, then I'm no friend. I say this often, Jesus said go and sin no more, he didn't say keep on sinning and I'll keep on forgiving. In one story Jesus finds a man previously healed in the temple and says this: “Now you are well; so stop sinning, or something even worse may happen to you.” Sounds like a warning to me. He may have hurt that man's feelings, but it is sound advice. 
 I do enjoy these discussions. Some may get angry, upset, indignant even. How dare I question anything concerning the Bible and the word of God. That isn't the part I enjoy, however. I like hearing what other people are thinking about such things and what their reasoning may be. I can disagree with their reasoning without getting mad about it. Granted there are times when I am "enthusiastic" about the topic, perhaps excessively so, but that doesn't last. I think of it as a lively debate. Well, until the name calling begins and the personal attacks. Then, depending upon my mood I may stand my ground or retreat. Mostly I stand my ground. It's a fault of mine perhaps. None of that happened in yesterday's discussion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment