Tuesday, March 7, 2023

take the risk

  Former Governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan, announced he is not going to make a bid for president. I am a bit surprised as it appeared he was setting himself up for just that. He had made a few speeches, traveled to a few areas on what appeared to be a campaign trail. He did enjoy great popularity here in Maryland although I'm not sure how well known he is on a national level. But his term limits had been reached and he was replaced by a democrat. While in office he did manage to build a surplus of tax money in what he called the rainy-day fund. The new governor Wes Moore has plans to spend that money on "social programs" and we all know just who will receive the benefit of those programs. It won't be the ones that actually put the money into the coffers, that much is certain. But I'm getting off topic a bit. I was talking about Hogan not running for president.
 I was surprised to learn he said no. I am more surprised by his reason. Well, not really, but the open admission of such reasoning is what disturbs me. He has been a vocal opponent of Trump and hasn't backed off that. That's fine with me, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But his reason for not putting his hat in the ring is because he doesn't want to take votes from Trump. Trump, at this juncture, is the leading candidate. Hogan explained how too many candidates could dilute the field and cost the republicans the election. I get that, I understand the premise. The thing is though, the election is supposed to be about getting the best candidate elected, not simply the most popular. Hogan made it perfectly clear; it is about getting a republican elected. Anyone that knows me is aware I am a registered republican. I have been since I was eighteen years old. And it's true I have voted for far more republican candidates than I have democrats. I have cast my ballot for who I thought would do the best job however, regardless of their party. 
 What does it say when a major political figure makes such an admission. He doesn't think Trump is the best man for the job, but he can't beat him. So, he has decided he won't even try because then neither of them could win. The importance lies in a republican winning the election whether he is a good candidate or not! I'd suggest that is why we have Joe Biden and Kamala Harris today. Neither of them are very adept at their jobs but got the vote. Old Joe simply agreed to do as he was told and so had the full support of Pelosi, Schiff and the money people in that party. Harris rode along as the first female, insert whatever ethnicity she is claiming this week. That is supposed to make up for Hillary losing the bid to be the first female president, something the democrats are still pretty upset about. That's because they are about "firsts" not necessarily the best. 
 Yeah, I know, it has always been that way. There is a lot wrong in this world that has always been that way. But in years past we at least pretended it wasn't. We made an effort anyway. Now it seems like with all this transparency we are just going to come right out and say it. We want to win, no matter what. Let the best man win? We will ensure a win by not playing in the game. Without any competition, he should win. I'll say I could win Wimbledon if there was no one on the other side of the net! I'd have to practice a bit though as I don't play tennis, but I could win. Call me Don Quixote if you will, I am a bit of an idealist. But I can't help but tilt at those windmills. I like to believe that people act in a moral and ethical fashion. I like to think our elected representatives will represent us.
  As Superman says, truth, justice and the American way. Yes, I know that things really haven't changed all that much. Still, it was far better living with the illusion in some ways. A concept taught today that we call "empowered." When you are empowered, you believe in yourself. The windmills are everywhere. It doesn't matter what they are, you know you are right. In the end Don Quixote renounces chivalry altogether, receives religious sacraments and dies a peaceful death. Still, he led an exciting life and had many adventures. He chased an illusion. I guess I'm just not ready to give up. I still believe. To truly win, you have to risk losing. That's my feeling anyway.   
   

1 comment:

  1. Don't you remember that Trump said that windmills cause cancer? He won't win again, so I guess we can safely bet on the Loser, anyway. Not sure yet who will be the winner next time 'round

    ReplyDelete