Friday, March 31, 2023

reality

  I was listening to the news as they were talking about the trans shooter that killed six people. The discussion began, naturally, by blaming the weapon used. It was those assault rifles once again, with huge magazines that spray deadly bullets in every direction. If we just banned all of those this would stop! Then the conversation shifted a bit to the mental state of the shooter. It was mentioned that this shooter had written a manifesto! Yes, it is a manifesto, all the bad guys write manifestos. Or in this case a guy that thinks he is a girl. But none of that mattered anyway, as it was the fault of the weapon used. They went on to express their concern for the trans community as that community may face backlash, experience discrimination or be blamed! It was agreed we have a mental health issue in this country, but the trans people aren't part of that. 
 The DSM manual is the guidebook for that. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Transgenderism was changed from gender identity disorder to gender dysphoria. Dysphoria isn't a disorder but should still be treated. But not treated for the identity issue, treated for the way others may interact with the person having the disorder, er, dysphoria. 
 It's a part of that I'm okay, you're okay philosophy. In that book the author talks about transactional analysis. The author says we are all born with a sense of what is right and wrong, but we can learn to change that. Yeah, he started this whole, you're ok thing. Fact is, I'm okay and some of you are not! That's how I feel about it. I thought; Sanity is shared reality. 
 I typed that phrase into the google search engine and a list of books, thesis, and papers on that very subject appeared. I could find very learned people that agreed with me and ones that were completely opposed. It wasn't surprising. In fact, I found it a bit reassuring. I have never studied philosophy or psychiatry at any level, but both of those groups had written my thoughts. I always knew great minds think alike, except for the great minds that don't agree with me. I do believe that sanity is shared reality. When you refuse to believe reality, you have a mental issue. Yes, there are many degrees to that, many ways to view it, and not all are necessarily bad, but whatever they are doesn't change things. Sanity is shared reality. 
 I agree with the author of that book I'm Ok, You're Ok in that we are born with a sense of right and wrong. I disagree with this idea that we should somehow change that. It is instinct that allows us to survive! It's a built-in thing, instilled by whoever or whatever created us. I'll leave that up to you, but it is vital to our wellbeing as human beings. He was trying to say that your parents are the ones that are responsible for what you believe to be right and wrong. Well, I'd say he was partially correct in that, they do have a very strong influence on all that. Whether you accept that as right or wrong, is still up to you. And that is where the whole deal gets sticky. When reality interferes with our decisions instead of guiding them, we are not OK. When we attempt to alter or redefine reality, we are not OK. 
 The reality is simple enough. Guns are not killing people; people are killing people. We cannot magically make every gun on the planet disappear. Enacting laws to prevent the sane people from buying guns as a defense against insane people is crazy! Yes, there is a mantal health crisis in this country. The crazies are starting to run the funhouse. You can tell me how you feel all day long, every day, for years, but until I share that feeling I will not accept that feeling. Sanity is shared reality. You can call it empathy if you like, but empathy and reality are not the same thing. I can understand your feelings, but I really can't share them. Nazism was insanity! Nevertheless, it was a shared reality for many. It happened when the crazies were allowed to run the funhouse. Liberalism can have the same effect on the population. Without the acceptance of reality there is no reality, only fantasy. Fantasy can be fun, entertaining, an amusement, but when fantasy is mistaken for reality, disaster is inevitable. 
 We need to go back to reality. Some folks are just nuts! The clues are there if you look at them. If you can't tell whether you are a boy or a girl, you have a real issue. That's reality. All this woke nonsense is fueling insanity. I'm not responsible for what happened two hundred years ago, I'm not responsible for your failures or your financial status. I'm ok, some of you are not! Yes, I think sanity is shared reality. The only difficulty being defining reality. I'm as certain of my reality as you should be of yours. I do not require anyone else to validate that reality. I question those that do with their flag waving, ribbon wearing and activism. Seems to me they are simply looking for that reassurance, that validation. Seems to me those folks are always the ones wanting to change everything for the better, then complaining when it isn't. Accepting reality is always the best starting point when attempting to overcome an obstacle. Among that is the acceptance that you can't change some things, reality is one of those! 

1 comment:

  1. oooops, as one who continually spouts his words as "facts", you goofed. The shooter was born and identified then as a female, now identifies herself as a male. I know that it doesn't matter to you, but I thought you might be interested in knowing the TRUE FACTS.

    ReplyDelete