Monday, March 20, 2023

for posterity

  Occasionally I write a blog and hesitate to publish it. I do so thinking that others may not like what it is I'm saying. Have I explained it enough. To me that is the basis of writing, explanation. I want others to know what is in my mind at the time I am writing. If I have explained it fully surely no one could be upset or offended buy whatever I have written. I don't think I'm offensive. That despite having heard quite the contrary on more than one occasion. But those people just didn't understand what I was saying so I'll place the blame on myself. It is the job of the author to explain the thought. Implication and inference are sometimes confused. That happens frequently these days, it's what I said, but it isn't what I meant. I do try to say exactly what I mean. But after writing my thoughts, reviewing them and sometimes revising them, I may still hesitate. Then I consider my integrity. If I am being honest in my writing, in expressing my thoughts, I should just publish them without questioning any of that. Am I writing for posterity or popularity? I tell myself it is posterity. That was my initial intent and I'm doing my best to remain true to that. I remind myself that whatever I write will remain long after I'm gone, long after any popularity I may enjoy. The only question being, will anyone read it?
 That is basically the same question we all live with. Something everyone wonders about and something everyone wants. Will we be remembered? That's the big question for all of us. I wonder if anyone will read what I have written after I'm gone, will I be remembered. Not being a published author, having written nothing of public note, or gained any sort of notoriety, I really have little expectation that anyone will. I'm aware I'm not writing the great American novel or expressing any philosophical or religious thoughts that are earth shattering or inspiring. I'm aware that the majority of my own family doesn't read these blogs today. Why should I expect anyone in the future to do so? But again, I remind myself, I'm doing this not for myself but for posterity. And I chuckle a bit at that hypocrisy. It's a half-truth and I'm aware of that. I do enjoy receiving comments on what I have written, both good and bad. I do like knowing that some are reading. There is a bit of vanity and self-satisfaction involved in the process. And I expect it is always that way with authors of all types. I don't think it matter what the topic is. Writers write because they feel the need to record their thoughts. It's the need to be remembered.
 I think there is a chance that others, years in the future, may read some of my writings. I say that because of Google and the internet search engines. I have typed in a word and had a link to my blog appear. I had written about the Duggan Brothers bakery company some years ago. If you type Duggan brothers in the search block, boom, there is a link to my blog. A total stranger can now read it. I still occasionally get a random comment from people on that. They somehow discovered that blog so it leaves hope they may find others. It's like they were flipping through the card catalogue and randomly pulled my card. So, yes there is a chance posterity will read my words. It's a comforting thought. I don't have to be popular, that's what I tell myself. I can be discovered later on. Hey, anonymous is quoted often! So perhaps I will be, and people will ask, who? 
 If I am truly writing for posterity, I have to ask just what is posterity? The dictionary says it is all future people. Older definitions say it is your descendants. It is always for the future, however. "Since it is not granted to us to live long, let us transmit to posterity some memorial that we have at least lived." ( E. Joseph Cossman ) Do you know who Cossman was? I certainly didn't until looking him up. I discovered the quote, not the person. Anyway, Cossman was the inventor of the spud gun, an early pioneer of the infomercial. and a multi-millionaire that conducted seminars and lectures. A very successful man. He is quoted because of that success. What I mean is, if he hadn't been wealthy and successful not many would quote him. So not being either of those myself I am doing as he suggested, "transmitting to posterity some memorial that I have lived." I guess all that is left is for that to be received. I have no control over that. Maybe I should have a "business" card passed out at my funeral instead of a memorial card. You know a sort of insurance policy. A reminder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment