Wednesday, March 22, 2023

It is

  This morning I find my thoughts preoccupied. It's a rather strange feeling but it is the only way I can describe it. My thoughts are not under my control as they wander about, preoccupied. This happened to me, the result of receiving some very sad news. I heard from a friend that she was in the hospital and her next destination was hospice care. We all know what that means. There are no words that can be written, no words said, to express my feelings. There is no need to question why, no need to say I'm sorry, no words of comfort or encouragement. All there is, is finality. My preoccupation is the search for peace. That's what we all need to find in times like that. When we receive upsetting news, or something happens that we can't control or explain. We search for peace. 
 Peace comes from tolerance, not acceptance. That is what I have discovered so far in life. The two actions are easily confused. I can tolerate something without accepting that. But there are times when all you can do is accept what is, that's reality. Reality doesn't always bring peace however, sometimes it is quite the contrary. Anger, bitterness, sorrow, grief and frustration can all arrive at the same time, that's reality. I have learned to accept that. In that way I tolerate the day. What I can't tolerate, I can't accept, and that disturbs my peace. Tolerating reality is the challenge each of us face every day. We all attempt to change that reality as well. Peace is realizing that you cannot. You want things to change, but have learned to tolerate the reality, it won't. Peace of mind isn't getting things your way; it is the tolerance of reality. 
Sometimes reality just stinks. That's the way it is. That's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment